Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 mx6 v6 and this started to happen a couple of months ago my interior lights dim at like a stop light and then brighten up as i step on the gas to go, alli have is an after market radio and cd changer i bought a system but didnt install it yet i was wondering if this is an aletrnator problem, or something else also with my system should i use a capciter

G

·
Your car is defintaly not getting enough power when you are at idle speed. The alternator is not producing enough power to light the light fully. Try this, turn everything off and start your car, when it is warm turn on the headlights. Then hit the gas. Next turn on some accesories and do the same thing. See if the lights get brighter when you hit the gas. If it does then the alternator is not producing enough power.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Actually it's pretty common ofr most cars to dim slightly when at idle. Alternators are very good at delivering electrical power, much better than generators, but even they don't delever as much power at idle as they do at cruising speeds. Most alternators will have a voltage drop off when you go below 1500 rpm, but since you don't really go below that very often it's not a real problem. If the lights are starting to dim a lot then you have a problem and might want to get the batteyr load tested or the alternators output tested, but if it is only dropping a little bit then you are fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts