Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i got a exedy heavy duty clutch for my birthday and was thinking of putting a flywheel on there aswell if im doing the clutch. Does anyone know if there is any real benifit of chucking on a flywheel? I read on a site that because its rotational mass.. blah blah , you do some kind of math and in 1st gear its like youd take 220lbs of weight off the car and makes acceleration much faster. 2nd gear less and so on. Is that bullshit?

If its a good ideea anyone here know where i can get one in person? Id preffer to not purchase it from ebay. BTW i live in Melbourne.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
if you have a second gen the k8 motor flywheel is very light (more than the fidanza) but makes the car nice and driveable while getting the nice losses in rotational mass, if you can find one they should work well for much less than the fidanza

·
Registered
418 Posts
Could always look at getting a mx3 flywheel from almaz in clayton. There not as light as a fidanza but still alot lighter than stock:) not to mention alot cheaper too!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of the fidanza flywheels breaking and distributing themselves through the gear box and causing alot of damage?

I have heard it from a few hyundai guys and seen it around a bit.

I cant confirm it but if it does that in an excel what might it do with more power.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of the fidanza flywheels breaking and distributing themselves through the gear box and causing alot of damage?

I have heard it from a few hyundai guys and seen it around a bit.

I cant confirm it but if it does that in an excel what might it do with more power.
lol hyundai guys.. ive had mine for 9 months now and its still completely fine, despite the way i abuse the thing.
never heard of it happening before either.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
That can happen when you try to machine it down to save even more weight. Great way to rip a whole through the crutch of your passenger from how fwd boxes sit I imagine :).

The Eunos30x ones can be found for about $40-$100 from wreckers if you can find it. Machine it for another $40, and your laughing.

·
Registered
752 Posts
My flywheel is 9lbs and i dont think my car is hard to drive at all and i havent been in a car yet with throttle response like mine

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah hyundai guys i wouldnt make to much fun of them i know of one that i can confirm runs a sub 12 sec pass and a few others that run sub 13sec passes down the 1/4. and no you wont pick them out real easy. I havent heard about them being machined down even more though just heard they have been know to rip themselves apart and make a very expensive mess.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah hyundai guys i wouldnt make to much fun of them i know of one that i can confirm runs a sub 12 sec pass and a few others that run sub 13sec passes down the 1/4.
really? is this street cars? and if so which? i cant imagine a streetable excel pull that but a tiburon quite possible. interesting..

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
When you make it lighter than it already is you take off material, make it likely to stress/crack etc.

But yer, street car excel doing 12 secs?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I saw some thing some where about a Tiburon with a motor in the front and back doing those sorts of times

Just found this to

·
Registered
109 Posts
i could imagine a flywheel ripping apart from stress if it was lightened even further. Its the accents sorry my mates one runs 230kw atfw he is up near brisbane, its street driven and ran a 12.83 on street tyres with full sound system and everything aswell as it being less powered (180ish kw i think) at that time. There are a few turbo ones around with alot of work.I think a few of them have been pulled apart now though. And a few old school x2 excels run 4g63 evo & galant vr4 motors, thro in a coupe of sonata's running in the 200+kw range with the 4g63's.

but lets no hijack this thread if you wanna know more either pm me or make a new thread and i can get some people to answer the questions for you.

I think its been answered as to why the flywheels have ripped off a few cars, i also think it was a few of the real hardcore will do anything for more power american blokes that had the problems.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Go to hell mx3 flywheel for $100, when i got my PS pump out of one (same part as all the 626, tx5, 323 that were there) i said , enuos 30x PS pump... $100... SHIT should have said 626... grr..

say its a worn out brake rotor from a holden common whore,.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts