Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aw yeah...

I was reading Sport Compact Car this month and I saw an article about this LSD they put in a Focus called Phantom Grip. It basically rests in the spider gears of YOUR STOCK differential, and from what I heard, it works really damn well.

Anyway, I checked the company website for applications, and I was AMAZED to find they actually made one for MX6's! The product they have is supposed to fit both generations of MX6s and 88-97 626s, turbo or non. I guess the differentials are the same. Anyhow... I think its $299 for the MX6 application. They link to distributors who sell it.

My question is, once the transmission is out, how hard is it to access the differential? I'm going to replace my clutch this summer (not decided whether I'm doing it myself yet or not) but if the trans is out I figure thats more than half the battle there. If it works like it should, a LSD would KICK ASS for only $299. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

http://www.phantomgrip.com

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
But how does it work?

Sport Compact Car is usually very technical, but they didn't make any effort to actually explain how the Phantom Grip works in that Focus article. The website doesn't help either.
I'm not going to buy something without knowing how it works, how durable it is, etc.
It is actually an LSD or does it just lock the diff? I can't tell by looking at those tiny pics of a square looking thing sitting in the diff.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I called them a few months ago about it. Basically it's a Torsen diff (torque sensing), which means it's very streetable, and mechanically similar to what the Sentra SE-R comes with. As far as strength, I've heard of 350+ hp hondas and dsm's using them with no problem.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Maybe I'll pick one up then...I'm putting in a new transmission and ACT clutch within a couple weeks anyways.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have any idea of the degree of difficulty of installing this yourself? I mean... here's the basic steps from the SCC article:

1) Drop the tranny
2) Crack it open
3) Take out the diff
4) (this is where the article should have been a bit more detailed) Punch out a pin in the housing on the spider gears on the diff, put in the phantom grip, and somehow, according to this, you now have a LSD.

I agree... I'm not going to try this myself unless I have a clearer picture of how this works. I don't know how much more a mechanic would charge to do this if he's got the trans out for working on the clutch anyhow, if i decide to go that route. (trust me, its the kind of thing i'd love to do myself, but I don't have a lift or an amazing tool selection)

·
Registered
854 Posts
NIIICE! So this wont negatively affect cornering etc etc... even on Slippery sufaces (or a foot of snow for that matter!) will it??? I could REALLY REALLY use an LSD right about now!!

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
teK only said:
NIIICE! So this wont negatively affect cornering etc etc... even on Slippery sufaces (or a foot of snow for that matter!) will it??? I could REALLY REALLY use an LSD right about now!!
Well actually it's supposed to improve handling. I forget the whole principal of what it does (it was explained to me once), but I know one thing for sure. You can accelerate out of corners MUCH harder without spinning the wheels. As far as rain/snow driving, yes if you nail it in the rain or snow while turning, you'll go straight. But since this is a torque sensing unit, it wont lock the front wheels together unless you're actually intentionally trying to. Light throtle pressure will feel totally normal, with one wheel spinning. Theoreticlly it could help you getting unstuck from snow, but I guess it depends on how much resistance the snow is creating.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm REALLY wanting to try this, but, I didn't see one listed for our cars on the web page, may have looked over it. Didn't notice prices either. I need to drop the tranny to replace the flywheel anyway, so, I figure if this doesn't cost TOO much, I can put it on at the same time.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I wrote them and here's what they told me:

"OUR UNIT CONVERTS THE STOCK DIFF INTO A DISC TYPE LIMITED SLIP
AS WELL AS A LOCKER TYPE DIFF. IN HARD STRAIGHT LINE ACCELL THE PHANTOMGRIP
LOCKER PLATES LOCK THE MOVEMENT OF THE SPIDER GEARS CAUSEING MAXIMUM TRACTION
, IN CORNERING THE DISC PLATES AND SPRINGS TAKE OVER ALLOWING ONLY LIMITED
SLIP TO YOUR DRIVE WHEELS. WE NOW OFFER TUNING KITS SO YOU CAN TUNE THE
AMOUNT OF SLIP THAT BEST SUITS YOUR DRIVING.

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU IN CHOSING THE WRIGHT LIMITED SLIP FOR YOU.

THANKS AGAIN."

·
Registered
512 Posts
w00t, I am all about an LSD. Hell I'll buy a used turbo trany install it in that. Then swap them out. Worse comes to worse I can use the used tranny for parts :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
All right mx6power! YOU be the guinea pig then! That's actually a good idea, I just don't think I could afford another tranny.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
If I can get a good used tranny for $300 then I might do it too. I wanted to replace my tranny with a younger one anyway eventually.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to assume part 906A (for turbo Probes) would apply to you GT people, and part 906 would apply to the NA people. Seems to reason, anyway.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ya, I'm pretty sure that I can get my hands on a tranny for chep money. Like 250.00 ish. Actually I'll just buy the tranny from the car my motor came out of. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
For my fellow Canadian friends the Phantom grip is available thru www.jrponline.com
They're in Mississauga. A friend of mine had his '89 Probe GT done when he replaced his clutch and all he said was that if you don't do it you're nuts! What a difference!!!

·
Registered
854 Posts
RIXMX6-2 said:
For my fellow Canadian friends the Phantom grip is available thru www.jrponline.com
They're in Mississauga. A friend of mine had his '89 Probe GT done when he replaced his clutch and all he said was that if you don't do it you're nuts! What a difference!!!
I am so stoked about this now!!! :D :D :D :D :D

As SOON as I do the engine swap/clutch, I'm getting one in there!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Definitly go for it, I drove his car and no more inside wheel spin when accelerating out of corners, torque steer is reduced and straight line traction is awesome (depending on yer tires of course!) I'm just about to install a centerforce clutch, and I'll be getting a phantom grip also!!!!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
RIXMX6-2, there is a lot of news over on probetalk on why NOT to go with the centerforce clutch. Most of it has to do with how the clutch works well on high RPM cars. Our cars have high torque at low RPM's. What happens is that after a short while the centerforce clutches start to slip.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts