Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
although i do like the smell of rubber, i would like to get a little more traction. any thoughts. btw, my wheels and rubber are stock but not for long

·
Registered
514 Posts
i say get some 20s unless you pushen hella lot of power you wont beable to spin them, um less you get some spinners

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
86Maz6 said:
i say get some 20s unless you pushen hella lot of power you wont beable to spin them, um less you get some spinners
Stupid idea. Increasing rolling mass cripples the power he's making. He might as well take his turbo off and run stock tire size to keep them from spinning.

If your not pushing too much torque (under 300 ft lbs) the phantom grip LSD is avaliable for our car. I've heard good results with this.

If your pushing more torque than that, you can machine your tranny slightly to fit a 2nd gen quaiffe LSD in there. You will have to put your ring gear on the quaffe unit.

·
Registered
514 Posts
FlySwat said:
Stupid idea. Increasing rolling mass cripples the power he's making. He might as well take his turbo off and run stock tire size to keep them from spinning.
it is called a joke, but it would solve his problem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the phantom grip uses our stock open diff. Which isn't very strong to begin with. Also, the design of the phantom grip (Two blocks pushing on the spider gears) is nowhere near is strong as a clutch type, or torsen differential.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Manifest said:
Yes, a drop in torsen (LSD).
I wanna come steal your LSD :D

J/K man. Is that one of the Aussie units or no? B/C in the future I'd still love to get my hands on one of those if they are gonna be able to make them still later on.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Dex said:
k, well assuming I do everything needed to strengthen the tranny (cyotreating, shot peening) what would the phantom grip be able to take???
The spider gears will still be the weak point, and would most likely break if you are doing anything but go in a straight line.

Now, after that... I heard that after JayB put in his Quaife, then the input shaft broke. ;) That is one piece of hardened steel, so go figure what is being put out at that point and what the tranny can take.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
88MX6GT said:
I wanna come steal your LSD :D

J/K man. Is that one of the Aussie units or no? B/C in the future I'd still love to get my hands on one of those if they are gonna be able to make them still later on.
Yes, that is what it is supposed to be. Will see what happens. I knew it would take 6-9 months to develop the thing, so maybe by spring we can have them ready. I am in no way disappointed in the time that it is taking, and there has been good communications so far with those that are developing it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
What is everyone using. PPl who are making around 250 hp, and upwards of 300 ft/lbs of torque? I know how the phantom grip works, and I know of a few ppl who are using it, and have been for a couple of years, and it does work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts