Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all. Im gonna buy my self a nice 6 -ls, v6, 1993-if i can find one and i wanted to know what kind of car they can smoke, and the one they cant. Of course im talking of the one qe can often find in the street...no ferrari or shit like this, youno! I know that this board is full of story but a lot of them look like bs for me, like this guy qho says he smoked a vette..:) I thought it would be cool to have everybodys opinion on that one :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
actually about the vette

durring the 80s and late 70s most vettes had very weak engines because of goverement regulations (they could not meet the fuel econmy standards set by the gov.), it is only recently and in the late 60s and early 70s did the vette have great performance. I saw this on speed vision so dont say that i am full of shit but i heard that alot of 80s vettes had 150 hp engine and that peopl only bought them becuase they looked cool. and if a vette had a 150 hp engine a good driver in a mx6 could beat it. again don't hold me 100% acountable for these stats, i only remeber this from speed vision.

·
Registered
641 Posts
he's right, my friend had an 84 vette and all he could muster at the track was a 15.6. Those cars suck ass! If you ever want to race one of these on the road, try to see if the dash is digital, those are the ones that are the 84 and 85 models, they suck.

late :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah but I still dont know the models...

Thank for this information but I still dont know the list of car a 6 can smoke.... :)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Well roughly speaking our car is comparable to the Civic SI and Integra GSR. If that helps you... you are sure to meet alot of those on the street as I have. If you ever encounter a list from www.hondahookups.com? don't trust it. That thing is full of sh*t. Our cars have been known to run from high high 14s to mid 15s with decent mods to high 15s stock( mtx) 17s+ for autos so its pretty decent.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here's a few that I know we can beat

Hopefully this will give you a little bit of an idea where we stand in the performance spectrum:

Ford Mustang stock w/ V6
Ford Contour (don't know about SVT though)
Ford Focus
Ford Taurus (not certain about SHO models)
Chevy Cavalier
Chevy Malibu
Pontiac Sunfire
Pontiac Grand Am 4cylinder (not sure about V6)
Dodge Stratus
Dodge Neon
Chrysler PT Cruiser
Honda Civic (any model, stock)
Honda Accord/Accord Coupe (not sure about V6)
Toyota Corolla
Toyota Camry
Toyota Celica base (not sure about the GT model--would be close)
Mazda Protege
Mazda 626
Mazda Millenia base (not sure about the S model)
VW Jetta 4cylinder (not sure about V6)
VW Beetle
VW Golf

anyways...can't think of anymore right now off the top of my head...in general we can probably beat almost any 4cylinder car out there, however, some like the Honda S2000 and the Acura RSX Type S will probably win. Most types of family cars, vans, and pickups we can usually beat. Just look at the numbers though and do your research. Hope this helps

·
Registered
183 Posts
It depends on the models. The C4 in general was the weak corvette, but be careful. There were about 6000 C4s made with the LT5 motor. Called the ZR1, those things were UNBELIEVABLE! Also there was a model called the Gran Sport, it had the LT4 which would do a lot of damage. The same thing goes for the 70s, the base models in the late 70s might not have been that great but there were quite a few special models offered that would rape most cars on the road.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Few corrections...

YZF-R1 said:
It depends on the models. The C4 in general was the weak corvette, but be careful. There were about 6000 C4s made with the LT5 motor. Called the ZR1, those things were UNBELIEVABLE! Also there was a model called the Gran Sport, it had the LT4 which would do a lot of damage. The same thing goes for the 70s, the base models in the late 70s might not have been that great but there were quite a few special models offered that would rape most cars on the road.
Just want to clarify a few things...the C4 itself was not the 'weak' corvette as you put it. It was the model years of 1984-1991 that had low horsepower ratings. The C4 model was revamped slightly in 1992 which resulted in a more powerful version of the LT1 engine. In 1992 the vette put out 300hp. The ZR1 that you mentioned was definately a badass car. It was introduced in 1990 with 375hp with the LT5 motor (a modified LT1) and then was upped to 405hp in 1993 after the introduction of the 400hp Viper in 1992--Corvette wanted to retain its title as the highest horsepower production car in America. The Grand Sport was a limited edition 1996 model--put out marking the end of the C4 generation--it was rated at 330hp using the LT4 engine. The C3 models that you speak of began in 1968 and lasted until 1982. During the 68-73 model years, the vette had many engine choices most with extremely high output--including the 435hp 427cu in big-block V8. All models during these years were quite powerful. In fact, there was an L88 engine option available that put out in excess of 560HP!! Although, no real threat, there wer only 2 made in 1969--and only 1 is known to be in existence. 1973 was the last year for the big-block in a corvette and from 1974 till the end of the C3 generation in 1982 horsepower output decreased drastically. There were a few special models that were put out in the late C3 model years as you had mentioned--but not many. Some include the 78 Indy Pacecar model and the 82 Collectors edition model (marking the end of the generation) however neither went over 250hp. One of the worst years for the vette was 1977--thats when power output dropped to 165hp. In general, the vette was weakest between 1975-1988. But even still, the vette was one of the most powerful cars of its time and I must say, as its entering its 49th year of production it has come a long way. In my mind it remains and always will remain "America's only TRUE Sports Car"

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey RDI, I dont think our cars can beat the Camry V6, i has over 190 HP stock, even if they are automatic, they goooo...

:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts