Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i tried to replace my spark plug wires, i removed one of the old wires and the little rubber cylinder-shaped thing on the end of the boot that goes over the spark plug got stuck on the plug. is there any way i can get this off without taking the valve cover off? i was thinking maybe a real long pair of needle nose pliers (i didnt have any long enough) or a coat hanger that's bent into a hook on one end?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
rubber cylinder-shaped thing on the end of the boot
Huh? The rubber piece is the boot, do you mean the metal piece? (plug terminal)

Thin needle nose pliers are the go.

You could try also spraying some WD40 to help loosen it.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
yeah, i've had that happen many times to me. you'll have to get some long needle nose pliers. of course if it's really stuck, it'll rip the boot. next time you take off your plugs, make sure you give them a good twist before you pull up

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
my boots started getting stuck so i took them all off....i now run bootless and haven't noticed a difference

i had precision needlenose pliers that could get down there to get them out but they weren't long enough to get the one out of cylinder number five which is under the im...its still suck down there...figure i'll get a ze in there before i need to change plugs again...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
i've had this happen to me once, the only time i had purchased a cheap set of spark plug wires. what i did to remove the stuck boots was to take a wire coat hanger, cut it to a sufficient length, then bend one end into a hook and sharpen that end so it could poke the rubber boot.

it might take a little trial and error, but after i did this, it took about 15 minutes to remove the 4 boots that were stuck to the plugs.

one thing you might want to do when replacing them is to use some dielectric grease on the boots. put a thin coat on the base and inside the sleeve. that should help prevent this from happening in the future.

of course, now i only use NGK plug wires, along with the grease. never had it happen again. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats actually exactly what i had to do. i sharpened a coat hanger into almost like a fish hook and got them out. luckily the one under the intake manifold did not get stuck :)

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
I hate that! Out of all wires my NGK's did that to me too. I used a little bit of yelling to aid the needle nose pliers..... did the trick :angel:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts