Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this is my first post on here. I'm trying to find a better solution to what's wrong with my 94 mx-6 ls. Here's a pic.. http://members.cox.net/rickybridger/images/mx6mazda.jpg

The other day I was out getting something to eat on my lunch break and when I came out to get back in the car to go back to work, it wouldn't crank. I couldn't get any power at all. Someone came from work to jump me off, but after minutes and minutes of trying the most I could get was interior lights, cd player, and headlights/taillights. The engine would try to turn over once and would stop.

I took my battery to Advance Auto Parts to get it tested and charged, but it tested good. They charged it anyway to see if I could get the car cranked and down there for an alternator check. The fully charged battery was able to get the car crunk up and back to Advanced which was about 2 miles away. However the car was driving really rough. It felt and sounded like a carburetor on an old truck. I wasn't get good power when I accelerated and it was idling at about 2500 rpm. Also, the dashboard gauges were dimming and flickering while I was driving the car to Advanced. They ran the alternator check and it came back good as well. I even tried one of their loaner batteries (fully charged and tested) to see if it would help, but the car had the same problems. The guy there said he really didn't know but that it could possibly be an electrical problem like a shortage or bad ground, or I might have a sensor bad.

Based on everything I described, does anybody have any possible idea or solution as to what may be wrong? As of right now I can drive the car, but I'm not. It's not having any trouble cranking up, but it's still riding and sounding rough. I've also noticed a little smoke coming from the exhaust since the car died on my lunch break. If you have any questions, please ask. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Ricky

·
Registered
5 Posts
^ nice looking 6 you got there :tup:

wish I could help, but you'd probably have a better chance getting the expert comments/suggestions if you post this thread in the '2G MX6 General' forum.. good luck

Mods: if/when you see this, please move this thread to the appropriate forum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.. I would've posted the message in a different forum but I saw that new users had to post here because it would be marked as spam until they post a few times or something like that. I'll try to post there anyway to see if it works. Appreciate your compliment and help.

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Nice looking car bro. Since the battery and alternator checked out, I would start by adding a temporary ground between the motor and battery negative to see if that improves the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Paul, I will give that a try. I'm beginning to think that it might just need a major tuneup, like spark wires, plugs, filters, oil change, etc. The car was sitting for about 2-3 months before I bought it, so it's possible it could just need a little pep. When I do that, I'll go ahead and put in a temp ground to see if that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts