1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
laugh away.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
:rolleyes: yet again you people would prefer the bling over a good practical idea... 'hey look my engine shines, but it dont run too well' .. if he just finished that with a cold air feed pipe and a couple of vent holes at the TB end, it would be a 'PRACTICAL' mod helping to insulate the intake pipe from engine bay heatsoak.

But hey .. IT AINT BLING EH :rolleyes:

Oddy.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
it has nothing to do with bling...

who uses ducting over a piece of automotive round 3 inch pipe. I am all for practical mods but not ghetto mods.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
you don't shop home depot HVAC section for Intake piping. period.

Nothing to do with bling or cost. but when an ebay CAI set costs like less than $100 with the ability to actually mount a filter to it direct and not ghetto rig a filter to fit.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
:rolleyes: yet again you people would prefer the bling over a good practical idea... 'hey look my engine shines, but it dont run too well' .. if he just finished that with a cold air feed pipe and a couple of vent holes at the TB end, it would be a 'PRACTICAL' mod helping to insulate the intake pipe from engine bay heatsoak.

But hey .. IT AINT BLING EH :rolleyes:

Oddy.
i'm sorry i rather spend the money on something that's been tested & marked for performence wise i think that cai is an insult, if you cant afford BPU dont think you should be getting into modding cars go buy a civic & maintain it.
the funnest thing i seen was a kid in town with a h/b civic w/ k20 motor swap but the thing has tie straps everywhere & looks like the motor & tranny was going 2 smash 2 the floor why not spend the money the first time instead of spending money twice & doing it right that's my opinion do it right the first time spend the extra instead of doing it twice i guess some people out there are just rich:cool: p.s i might as well use PVC piping 4 I/c piping:angel: or take my toilt bowl S/s braided line & use that 4 my clutch line probly cost more @ home depot then just buying it off the bulk buy.

·
Registered
894 Posts
That does look pretty retarded, he probably found it on the side of the road and said "hey this would work great as an intake, I'm also blind"

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
all a cai does is get cold air into the intake - and thats exactly what the mx3 owner has done. Ghetto or not it works.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
it wont rust it is galvanized ducting. but it is lame.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Errrmm.. wake wakey some of you .. what you are looking at is not the actual intake pipe ... its a shroud ! to keep the heat soak OFF THE ACTUAL INTAKE PIPE .. i give up ..

and if you want to spend your hard earned cash on a bling $2-300 CAI .. go ahead... see whos laughing then ... $2-300 of induction noise and nothing more.. but hey .. its a branded pipe, so its gotta be good.

I'll leave you with your induction noise, and 'status' agenda. I'm outta here.

Paul.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Well you raise a good point, but intakes like AEM and Injen have a little bit of engineering into them so I wouldn't go so far as calling them "bling" and "induction noise".

That guy has the right idea, I get it, but there are alternatives like exhaust wrap that don't look ghetto-rigged and makeshift. Everyone has the right to be skeptical and make fun, because unless they've actually seen the vehicle in person and examined the intake then they'd realize and understand what the owner was trying to accomplish. IMO I think it makes the engine bay look like trash and that it's disgraceful to the vehicle.

So you have to admit, he could have done a better job.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
i have an unknown brand CAI from ebay worth far less than $100 thanks.

That ducting has no place in any car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i agree oddball, i had a pontiac GTP with a sc v6 and i pulled 13.4 in the 1/4 mile, i had few mods done but i did build a cai out of 3" pvc pipe that went through the fender well and out then i covered it in header wrap... twas better than anything you could buy for that model car and was very cheap to build, im with practical over bling any day! plus i'm poor so that kinda fuels the fire lol

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Sometimes practical and what works just is'nt pretty to look at, but if does the job you want it to do, then surely thats enough..

I'm all for a nice clean engine bay, you only have to look at my album link in my signature of my own engine bay for that.. but what i will not do is criticise people who 'try' different things to make that extra 10th etc..

Paul.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts