Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i have a question for everyone, the lock on my 93 LS 6 is pretty messed up, u can stick the key in it and move the entire lock mecinism up, down, left, right-its really loose.
i imagine the moron that owned the car before me try to unfreeze it one day by just jamming the key in there and trying to loosen it up and broke just about everything, the lock works alright, but it slightly bends my key everytime i use it, now the key gets KINDA bent back normal when i stick it into the ignition, but im still way nervous that its gonna break sometime-and i dont have an extra key and cant make a copy b/c its too bent

has anyone had a problem like this? or can anyone give me a suggestion on what i might want to try? i was wondering if i could switch the passenger lock with the drivers lock since theres really no point for the passenger lock because it sets off the alram(which is dumb) and if this is possible; is it hard??
well any input will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanx a lot

PT

G

·
Just so your not alone...

I have the same problem. It looked like the previous owner had the door apart for something and didn't put it back together real good. I took the door apart to fix something else, but forgot to check out the lock mechanism (stupid me). Guess I'll have to take it apart again. The other day I almost couldn't get the key in the ignition cause it got caught up in the lock and started twisting. If I look into it anytime soon I'll post back with what I find. Its not hard to take the door apart, just lack of time & daylight :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you need another key the Mazda dealer can cut one from the VIN number.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx everyone for input, yeah our keys r REALLY soft, it sucks, i didnt know that i could get another key cut from the mazda dealer THANX

hey Zakaron, let me know if u have anyluck fixing it next time u take ur door apart thanx

·
Registered
61 Posts
i was inside my door when i first bought my 6... actually when i first bought mine the passenger handle was hanging out of the god damn door and i had to bolt it back in

ANYWAY

if i'm not mistaken, the handles for left and right are mirrored (meaning they ARE NOT interchangable, but opposites like left and right doors)

that's the handle... and as my experience went, the lock is integrated to the handle... there are hooks and poles in there and i had a hell of a time just getting a nut in there.

maybe you could tape it up real nice... or weld it back on if you could remove the handle assembly.

keys are easy to get (too easy) mazda charged me $7 for one

G

·
I just bought a 93 and a few days later I went to put my key in the drivers side to unlock it and the whole assembly fell inside the door. Now I have to take it back to the place I bought it from and they are going to fix it for free. That is nice and all but I will be without the car for a day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts