Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Looking for an affordable exhaust system...

1K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Zach 
#1 ·
Hey people.

I'm looking for a place or a person in Greater Seattle area (or anywhere in WA, if price is right) who would be able to make an exhaust system for our cars, preferably mandrel bent and 2.5". Mine has completely rusted out and burnt holes in places, i keep getting pulled over frequently since the officers "hear me before they see me". I am on a somewhat tight budget at the moment since i'm going through a moving process, so affordable is the key word in my search. I do have my own high flow cat that meets EPA requirements and a good muffler, so the piping from y-pipe back is what i'm after.

So if anybody has the skill/equipment or knows a place where i could get this taken care of in a timely and affordable manner please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you in advance.

PS: The car is a '95 Mazda MX6 v6 and i live in North Seattle, Shoreline

#2 ·
i went to danfast muffler and brake in bellevue today. yeah i know might have been charged a little much for labor, but I had my magnaflow muffler in hand and had some brake problems so I wanted to go somewhere as close as possible. found out a caliper was leaking, not the hose, but the actual caliper itself so good thing i didn't take the car on the hwy because I was losing fluid like a mofo. they do regular crush bends, but the bends look decent enough. they said there only a few places that do mandrel bends and I think he said one of them is in Auburn, but it's pricey. oh yeah, i think this place as part of my pipes at the bend before it goes to the muffler hanging down a little low..... i might take it back to them to have it fixed....

#4 ·
$75 and I'll sell you my factory exhaust system. Everything but the cat as it's still on my car. It's not rusted at all. Muffler included. Straight bolt up, although it's much easier if you buy those rubber mounts as pulling off yours is much easier if you just cut the rubber mounts off. Only catch is you got to pick it up.

#5 ·
Thank you Dave, but i'm looking to upgrade while i'm fixing this problem. Furthermore, i have a Magnaflow high flow cat and a Greddy SP1 muffler that i'd like to throw in this equation :)

scuba, how was the quality of the job?

#8 ·
looked under my car again. the pipes aren't in the same place as they were before or even routed in the stock place. they doing this because they can't fit it in there? got 2.25" piping. or is it because they were too lazy to bend again and do it right? seems like the pipes are hanging down about 2 inches lower than they should be

#11 · (Edited)
Well, it all came down to Bucky's and Dan Fast up here in Lynnwood. Dan Fast's estimate was around 200, and Bucky's was 179, so i went with them.

2.5" piping, my Magnaflow CarSound high flow cat, their resonator, and my Greddy SP1...

Here are the few fresh shots:

I will add the shots of the whole exhaust system later on. Seems like the muffler sits a little low atm so i'll have to fix that soon... And the lip kit is coming, plus the rear will be dropped, so it'll all look better in the end. Well, what do you think? Worth it?

PS: Oh yea, the sound - sounds really smooth and quiet, which is what i wanted after being pulled over as much as i have been, with a really nice deep undertone at the low RPM. Headers will be added later, maybe that will add a little aggressive tone.

#12 · (Edited)
very nice. Sorry to hijack this thread......i realized now that I'm either being charged Bellevue pricing or these people at Danfast are ripping me off. I paid 305 after tax for pipes and a resonator. I bought my own magnaflow muffler. They charged me 80 bucks for labor for my muffler.....

Here are pics of my stock exhaust on my white mx6 and the new exhaust hanging down from my red mx6. Neither are lowered.

STOCK

Danfast exhaust.....

This pic has the tape measure and roll of tape for reference. I can put that tape measure on the pipe and still fit my hand up there...

Am I being picky and worrying too much about this? or are they wrong? I went to them today and asked them if it was ok, they said it was just where it was supposed to be.....

#15 ·
it's called, going back and complaining until they fix everything and give me some money back. they've got bad math, even the receipt doesn't add up when I look at it. only went there because it was close by and my brakes were leaking. really scary to drive. had them take a look at the brakes too

#16 ·
Yea man, that sounds a bit much to me...

Mine sits a little too low too, and low enough to hit the frame in the area of the final bend before the muffler. I'm going back in tomorrow to get it fixed, and won't leave until i'm satisfied.

#25 ·
Well the one I have is the whole catback from Greddy which has since been discontinued. Heres a sound clip of another probe with it YouTube - 93 Probe GT Exhaust-Greddy keep in mind he also has headers and a resonated testpipe.

As for the 2.25" with a magnaflow, thats what I have. I got mandrel bent pipes from miami (paid out the ass for the mandrel bends) and welded in a 22" magnaflow resonator along with a magnaflow muffler. Fits perfectly and sounds even better :tup:

#18 ·
well, that is exactly the same muffler, so it should. I can tell that it will be a little louder since his resonator is a lot smaller than mine, and i don't see a cat... which would make it slightly louder too. My resonator is about 2' long, which is what probably takes away all the noise, but i've gotta drive around for a couple of weeks and break it in a little bit to see what the final sound will be like.

Lambera, are you interested in this exhaust?

#19 ·
Well I need one before I can drive the car. I plan on starting the car next week.

Right now everything is open at the down pipe before the stock cat.

I was thinking about getting a custom bit done with a high flow cat 2.25 back with a magnaflow muffler.

I dont want any rasp sounds.

#23 ·
got my saggy pipes fixed :) still paid too much but that's what you get in bellevue...... sounds really good... bad for my gas. lambera, next time you come up you can hear it. very low pitched. it's like my car has a lowpass crossover for the exhaust. loud in the lower rpms, almost stock sounding in the higher rpms :)

#26 ·
why are you basterds concerned about mufflers? Mine doesn't have ANY and I don't/didn't catch any grief because of the noise :p

Maybe it's because turbocharged engines sound nicer/quieter than N/A engines ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.