Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here and joined because I recently bought an mx-6. I'm looking to buy an F2T to swap into my DX. If anyone has a spare one to sell I will look into buying and pay for shipping. I'm located in northern Utah. If anyone has a website or somewhere they can direct me to look as well, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

· Registered
206 Posts
There's one complete here in Denver on FB marketplace and CL for 750 plus shipping. I'd gladly pick it up for ya and palletize it and can have it shipped out from my shop. I built my non turbo dx engine. Which would be your other option. Ill look for a link if it's all available.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet yeah I'll look into that for sure. I can't seem to find many places for aftermarket parts for these cars, probably due to them being 30+ years old now, but may I ask how did you go about building your DX?
There's one complete here in Denver on FB marketplace and CL for 750 plus shipping. I'd gladly pick it up for ya and palletize it and can have it shipped out from my shop. I built my non turbo dx engine. Which would be your other option. Ill look for a link if it's all available.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i can't really relate to this post because where i live nobody really cares for the MX6 1g, so you can get a turbo one for like..... $700 sometimes, in drivable condition too......... so i just can't rationalize this swap in my mind
My 1g mx-6 was the only One for sale within 250+ miles from me at the time of my purchase unfortunately. Definitely would have preferred a turbo one if I could have found one.

· Registered
3,003 Posts
i can't really relate to this post because where i live nobody really cares for the MX6 1g, so you can get a turbo one for like..... $700 sometimes, in drivable condition too......... so i just can't rationalize this swap in my mind
The naturally aspirated F2 engine makes 130 ft-lb torque at the wheels.
The Turbo F2T engine makes 190 ft-lb torque at the wheels at factory boost, add a boost cut chip and boost controller (+- 40$) and turn the boost up to 15psi and you get about 250 ft-lb torque at the wheels. Upgrade the turbo and add extra fuel and you can make close to 400 ft-lb torque on the stock engine and factory ECU. Add timing control or water meth or engine management or run E85 and run 30psi boost....

I had a 93 probe GT, it had a KLZE, stainless shorty headers, cold air intake, side skirts... the car sounded really good but was slow as can be, I bough it for 800$ with the intent to sell it, it needed tires and seats (shoowed up at my shop with milk crates for seats and the driver shreaded the front tires doing burnouts). The only people that where interested where very young and their fathers wouldn't let them buy it.
When my 89 MX6 GT got hit I needed something to drive, my choices where the probe GT and a 1988 Mazda 626 LX automatic, I chose to drive the 626 auto N/A because the probe looked sporty, sounded sporty but was only 200hp and looks like a tampon with wheels, I like straight sharp lines on a car (Ferrari F40) and can't stand curved rounded lines on a car (all porches). My shop partner drove it a couple of times and took it to the drag track, I never drove it once.
The F2T with a chip and more boost was faster that the probe GT.
To be fair I always loved the look of the 88-92 626 but was not a huge fan of the 1G MX6 because of the fender flares, the first time I saw 70's stepside pickup truck (when I was a kid) I though that is the ugliest thing I have ever seen and it made me hate fender flares, eventually the MX6 grew on me.
2years ago we sent the probe to the scrap yard where it belongs.

I can't rationalize spending 1000$ on a KLZE motor for a 32hp gain, or spending 350$ on a maf upgrade for a 25-35hp gain.
Guess I got spoiled driving F2T's all these years and expect a couple hundred more HP for 1000$.

The F2T has far more potential than the KLZE and KLDE in factory form. the KLDE has lower compression than the ZE and could run more boost than the ZE.
If you have to swap rods and pistons to run high boost on a car you chose the wrong car to modify.

I use FT-LB torque because it's what makes a car accelerate, HP is a meaningless # that represents potential work done over 1minute of time at that exact RPM and engine load. To achieve the actual HP number the car would have to stay at the same RPM at wide opened throttle without accelerating (increasing RPM's) for 1minute.

Mazda dropped the ball with the 2nd gen MX6/ 5th gen 626, in 1986 and 1987 3rd gen) they had the FET 2.0L 8valve non intercooled turbo, 626 coupe is a 2 door and basically an MX6, in 1988 they improved the FET increased the stroke from 86mm to 94mm, added 4 more valve, a larger turbo and intercooler and a stronger transmission = F2T, Had they continued on that path in 1993 with a cast Iron block, even stronger transmission, low compression pistons and even bigger turbo (whatever the engine displacement or number of cylinders) the 2nd gen MX6/Probe would probably be the front wheel drive equivalent of the 4th Gen Toyota Supra (capable of making 3 times factory power on stock internals), I could see the 2nd Gen MX6 as a turbo charged vehicle making 220 HP factory but capable of making 660 hp on factory internals and transmission. I would drive a second gen MX6 or run 2nd Gen engines in 88-92 626's. The Toyota supra got uglier with each new generation (more rounded and curved) but also got faster, the 626 also got uglier with each new generation but also got heavier, slower and less reliable. The 323 however did follow the correct path and in 1993 mazda built the GT-R (2200 made, japan only) unfortunately they are 1.8L engines and rare as hens teeth, but they did improve the BPT engine for this car and put in a much larger turbo...

Perhaps the only good turbo charged piston engine Mazda made is the F2T, the FET wasn't as strong or as capable, the RX7 rotary engine has huge potential but is unreliable at best even in stock form, The mazda BPD is too small and who wants to drive a hunchback car (piss pot) the Speed protege engine is crap, the Mazdaspeed 3 and 6 2.3L MZR engine is aluminum junk, you'd be lucky to squeeze out 50% more HP/Torque reliably without blowing the engine or destroying the transmission.
Yes I consider an engine to be "Good" based on the number of times factory power output can be doubled no matter what factory power is to begin with, a 600hp factory motor that can only handle 700hp isn't a good motor, a 200hp factory motor that can handle 600hp is a good motor. It's all about how much room the manufacturer left you to express yourself and make your car yours, what good is a 700hp car if any asshole can buy the same thing, drive it off the lot and be just as fast. It's not about how fast your car is it's about how fast you made it.

By the time you match how fast Urry_Rip can make an F2T set -up accelerate on the factory turbo using a chip and boost controller you will need a KLZE/ECU/AFM, headers, full exhaust, CAI, light flywheel... with money you spend on that he can upgrade the turbo, fuel delivery and clutch and still leave you as a tiny dot in his rear view mirror.

Maybe now you understand his interest in the 1st gen MX6 and making it a GT.

I can't wrap my head around why you would want a 1993-1997 ford probe? Unless you think of a car as a female, curvy, delicate, weak, temperamental, moody and unreliable than you made the right choice. I don't associate gender to cars but if I did it would be male, tough, reliable, strong and if you look at it wrong it will kick your ass.

· Registered
3,003 Posts
WOAH dude, all i said was, NEAR ME, you could buy a GT turbo for $700, with the F2T already in it,
Bullshit, you said:
"i can't really relate to this post because where i live nobody really cares for the MX6 1g" = You
"so i just can't rationalize this swap in my mind"

When Urry_Rip mentioned no GT's where available near him you compare the 1st gen to a daihatsu charade.
You knew exactly what you where doing and you where trying to be a smart ass.

You came into this want to buy thread, offered no help full info and decided to criticize the 1st generation because you like the second generation, I figured it was out of ignorance and decided to give you some information (ignorance is not lack of information it is forming an opinion about something you know nothing about).
Sticking to points and facts about the topic at hand is what matters, personal attacks are cop out's.

I read your posts and you acted like an idiot, you show no respect and act like you have no clue.
I can see you are excited about you car and your build, I can respect that.
Trust me you need this forum, writing multiple post and acting like a child will get you banned, the forum is far more lenient than it use to be but don't push your luck, I don't want you to get banned, maybe you need to read your post and think about what you wrote.

If too much information in a small post overwhelms you than perhaps you are in over your head with this build, all rules apply to all cars, tuning is as universal as it is specific, you want to learn what to do to your car to make it fast, look at what is done to all cars to make them fast and figure out how to apply it to your build.

You want to be car a car guy, trust me your girlfriend will see your car as competition, you want a good looking girlfriend, she will be high maintenance, you don't want a high maintenance car as well.

If there is anything you should take from my previous post it's that forced induction is what makes a car fast, turbo's are far better than superchargers. I recommend not wasting your time with bolt on mods, install a remote (on the exhaust pipe) small T3/T4 turbo, an intercooler, larger injectors, run speduino, install a performance clutch, hawk performance brake pads or EBC yellow or red stuff pads, a bolt on performance suspension and try not to kill yourself when you do get your license.

Reactions: juanpac_tupac

· Registered
3,003 Posts
also, don't judge me for liking feminine cars, the fact that you like masculine cars makes you sound pretty gay,
Funny you mention that.
One of the reasons I wouldn't drive this:

Is because I didn't want to look gay.

· Registered
49 Posts
True, but i proceeded to say "so you can get a turbo one for like..... $700 sometimes, in drivable condition too......... so i just can't rationalize this swap in my mind" never said i don't like them, i really do, just saying nobody else likes em thus low demand

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.