Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I’m looking for a front lip or splitter for my 2nd mx6 that doesn’t require to much work. I’ve seen the post about ones that fit but some require cutting in half and moulding. So just wanted to see if anyone has found any other ones around? Thanks

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I recommend looking for one using measurements.
For example this one is listed on Ebay as :
For Mazda 2 3 5 6 CX-3 CX5 MX-5 Front Bumper Lip Spoiler Splitters Matte Black
They claim it fits every year and trim of MX6 as well, 1st and 2nd gens have different bumper contours, so if it fits one it wont fit the other.

It is 3 pieces for no apparent reason and "universal"

Though this might seem like useless information because this lip is ugly and most likely doesn't fit, there is useful information here.
The fact that many universal front lips are listed with measurements.
Some of the points on your front bumper to take measurements of.
Listings like this one have many pictures of the product they are selling.

I would make a cardboard template of the mounting seem on the bumper, just take a big piece of cardboard and use bricks, rocks, jacks, wood or whatever to hold it against the bottom of the bumper, take a pencil and trace the front contour of the bumper on the cardboard, pull the cardboard out and cut along the traced line, make the template 1/2" thick.
You will have a bow shaped template of the bumper mounting surface ) . Take a picture and Photoshop it to have a white background and be roughly the same size as the universal listing pictures you find. Print it on white paper.
When you find listings that have the correct lip width for your bumper hold the printed picture over the screen and see if the contour / ark / dimensions match between mounting areas. This will let you know how much of the lip will sit in front of the bumper and if the lip will go all the way to the wheel well.
You can also take the template to a junk yard and hold it up to various car bumpers then search for lip/splitters/defusers for that make/model car (if you find any with the same shape).

I looked into adding some downforce to the front ends of my 626 and MX6 GT's to improve high speed handling. The cars have so much torque they can pull themselves through corners and stick to the road, although it is cool they can do this it is an all in commitment once you enter the corner at a higher speed than the cars handling will allow you to coast through it you can't let off the throttle. I was thinking maybe a lip the same size and shape as the factory GT's that flared out forwards at the bottom might generate a bit of front end downforce.
My search results where inconclusive, there are a lot of automotive performance calculators (hp, injectors, compression, displacement, turbo...) but very few aerodynamic/downforce calculators. Figuring out the downforce surface area and speed required to generate any useful downforce on a front wheel drive was too much work. My conclusion was that if I add some front end downforce this will improve the maximum coasting speed handling of the car but because the speeds under acceleration are so much higher it wont do much to prevent disaster if the throttle is released or the engine dies or the transmission blows or the engine hits the rev limiter in a corner.

The McLaren Senna GTR generates 2200 lbs downforce.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts