Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm seriously considering purchasing this 1988 Mazda MX-6 GT from where I work. It's a one owner vehicle, he's had it since new, and it has been sitting for a while, although still in good condition. A big factor is that struts and shocks will definitely need to be changed, but I'm not sure what to look for with the automatic suspension system. I'm looking for more information on the AAS automatic suspension system, how it works, as well as any literature, or links to parts. Any help is encouraged and appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, no, not that I know that is over $2k, I'm just looking for any additional information since there wasn't really anything online. Thank you for letting me know the price, though, do you by any chance have any more info on the AAS system?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
What info on the AAS system are you looking for?

I am going to guess you are concerned about replacing the auto adjust suspension and what's involved.

The struts are three way adjustable and controlled by small motors on the top of each strut.
There are 3 settings:
Soft -way to much body roll and strut travel.
Normal -to much body roll and strut travel.
Sport -way to stiff.

No AAS struts or components are available and haven't been for many years.

You non't need to buy AAS struts any non-AAS listed strut for the 88-92 mazda mx6/626 or ford probe will work on the car.

Most quality aftermarket struts for these cars are no longer available.
Your easiest option is to find a set of 93-97 mx6/probe STAGG or Tokico blue front struts (will bolt right up) and a set of KYB Y2K rear struts for 88-92 mx6's.
2nd Generation rear struts can be made to fit the 88-92 mx6 with modification.

Replacement struts like Monroe and Gabriel suck, downgrade the factory handling and make every penny spent a disappointment like putting gas in a smart car or buying a can of spam.

The AAS strut motors can be removed from the bracket they sit on and unplugged from the wire harness. Simply don't reinstall the AAS motor bracket on the new struts.

You don't really need to know anymore about the factory AAS system and struts.

I have read your first post several times and still don't see how air bag suspension was mentioned in the first reply. I guess it was read as Automatic Air Suspension.

There are better performance suspension options available, if you buy the car decide what you want to do with it, there is no point replacing the struts and having the car aligned if you later decide you want performance suspension or coil overs.

TwoPedalWarrior what affordable newer car is worthy of a 2000$ + air suspension, with aluminum blocks and the way things are engineered their aren't many engines or transmissions that can handle making 2 or 3 times factory horsepower on stock internals. I'm not saying a bone stock 1988 mx6 gt is worthy of a 2000+ suspension, I am saying since 1990 the manufacturing and quality of everything has declined due to coke quality when smelting iron ore and companies chasing profits over reputation.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
You're probably too busy to be a mod MazdaCarnage, but we need a 1g mod with the likes of your knowledge to take over, sometimes what doesn't make sense to some, is considerable to others. I know you know the inside and out of the 1st gen, but you're always willing to give your input with facts and always have taken the time to share your findings with us. Much appreciated. Thanks 👍

1 - 5 of 5 Posts