Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm seriously considering purchasing this 1988 Mazda MX-6 GT from where I work. It's a one owner vehicle, he's had it since new, and it has been sitting for a while, although still in good condition. A big factor is that struts and shocks will definitely need to be changed, but I'm not sure what to look for with the automatic suspension system. I'm looking for more information on the AAS automatic suspension system, how it works, as well as any literature, or links to parts. Any help is encouraged and appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, no, not that I know that is over $2k, I'm just looking for any additional information since there wasn't really anything online. Thank you for letting me know the price, though, do you by any chance have any more info on the AAS system?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
What info on the AAS system are you looking for?

I am going to guess you are concerned about replacing the auto adjust suspension and what's involved.

The struts are three way adjustable and controlled by small motors on the top of each strut.
There are 3 settings:
Soft -way to much body roll and strut travel.
Normal -to much body roll and strut travel.
Sport -way to stiff.

No AAS struts or components are available and haven't been for many years.

You non't need to buy AAS struts any non-AAS listed strut for the 88-92 mazda mx6/626 or ford probe will work on the car.

Most quality aftermarket struts for these cars are no longer available.
Your easiest option is to find a set of 93-97 mx6/probe STAGG or Tokico blue front struts (will bolt right up) and a set of KYB Y2K rear struts for 88-92 mx6's.
2nd Generation rear struts can be made to fit the 88-92 mx6 with modification.

Replacement struts like Monroe and Gabriel suck, downgrade the factory handling and make every penny spent a disappointment like putting gas in a smart car or buying a can of spam.

The AAS strut motors can be removed from the bracket they sit on and unplugged from the wire harness. Simply don't reinstall the AAS motor bracket on the new struts.

You don't really need to know anymore about the factory AAS system and struts.

I have read your first post several times and still don't see how air bag suspension was mentioned in the first reply. I guess it was read as Automatic Air Suspension.

There are better performance suspension options available, if you buy the car decide what you want to do with it, there is no point replacing the struts and having the car aligned if you later decide you want performance suspension or coil overs.

TwoPedalWarrior what affordable newer car is worthy of a 2000$ + air suspension, with aluminum blocks and the way things are engineered their aren't many engines or transmissions that can handle making 2 or 3 times factory horsepower on stock internals. I'm not saying a bone stock 1988 mx6 gt is worthy of a 2000+ suspension, I am saying since 1990 the manufacturing and quality of everything has declined due to coke quality when smelting iron ore and companies chasing profits over reputation.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
You're probably too busy to be a mod MazdaCarnage, but we need a 1g mod with the likes of your knowledge to take over, sometimes what doesn't make sense to some, is considerable to others. I know you know the inside and out of the 1st gen, but you're always willing to give your input with facts and always have taken the time to share your findings with us. Much appreciated. Thanks 👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
What info on the AAS system are you looking for?

I am going to guess you are concerned about replacing the auto adjust suspension and what's involved.

The struts are three way adjustable and controlled by small motors on the top of each strut.
There are 3 settings:
Soft -way to much body roll and strut travel.
Normal -to much body roll and strut travel.
Sport -way to stiff.

No AAS struts or components are available and haven't been for many years.

You non't need to buy AAS struts any non-AAS listed strut for the 88-92 mazda mx6/626 or ford probe will work on the car.
Most quality aftermarket struts for these cars are no longer available.
Your easiest option is to find a set of 93-97 mx6/probe STAGG or Tokico blue front struts (will bolt right up) and a set of KYB Y2K rear struts for 88-92 mx6's.
2nd Generation rear struts can be made to fit the 88-92 mx6 with modification.

Replacement struts like Monroe and Gabriel suck, downgrade the factory handling and make every penny spent a disappointment like putting gas in a smart car or buying a can of spam.

The AAS strut motors can be removed from the bracket they sit on and unplugged from the wire harness. Simply don't reinstall the AAS motor bracket on the new struts.

You don't really need to know anymore about the factory AAS system and struts.

I have read your first post several times and still don't see how air bag suspension was mentioned in the first reply. I guess it was read as Automatic Air Suspension.

There are better performance suspension options available, if you buy the car decide what you want to do with it, there is no point replacing the struts and having the car aligned if you later decide you want performance suspension or coil overs.

TwoPedalWarrior what affordable newer car is worthy of a 2000$ + air suspension, with aluminum blocks and the way things are engineered their aren't many engines or transmissions that can handle making 2 or 3 times factory horsepower on stock internals. I'm not saying a bone stock 1988 mx6 gt is worthy of a 2000+ suspension, I am saying since 1990 the manufacturing and quality of everything has declined due to coke quality when smelting iron ore and companies chasing profits over reputation.
Only issue, Tokico blues are no longer available and the kyb y2k's are not available.. Get some KYB GR2's and some Eibach springs if you can find some.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Only issue, Tokico blues are no longer available and the kyb y2k's are not available.. Get some KYB GR2's and some Eibach springs if you can find some.
Your easiest option is to find a set of 93-97 mx6/probe STAGG or Tokico blue front struts (will bolt right up)
I still see Tokico HP Blues part number HB3081 and HB3082 (1993-1997 mx6/probe/626) front struts for sale online.
Eibach springs for the 88-92 mx6 are long discontinued and near impossible to find.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Not in my storage building they aren't. :)
What is the internet HTTPS address for your storage building?
Let me rephrase my statement: They are near impossible to find for sale on the internet and even harder to find in random storage buildings.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Let me rephrase my statement: They are near impossible to find for sale on the internet and even harder to find in random storage buildings.

I'll agree with that. BTW, they've never been out of the original box, I would sell them, but shipping costs would be a deterrent, plus the low availability of prospective customers.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts

I'll agree with that. BTW, they've never been out of the original box, I would sell them, but shipping costs would be a deterrent, plus the low availability of prospective customers.
Oh really, what kit is it pro or sport? and why isn't it on your car?
Seriously you never even pulled a coil out of the box to look at it or fondle it's smooth glossy black finish and fancy white logo.

Honestly the fact they are brand new and impossible to find increases they're value and desirability. The only options are non street legal expensive coil over kits.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I am 80 to 90 percent sure it's a pro kit. I actually thought about pitching them when I had my GREAT storage building cleanout back last Summer, but thought certainly someone would have use for it. As far as why I never used the springs, they are hardly the only item I possess or did at one time possess that I never used that's Mazda MX6 1st gen related. I think most people, active or not on this site, have had realistic to grandiose ideas that never came to fruition...count me in there.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I am 80 to 90 percent sure it's a pro kit. I actually thought about pitching them when I had my GREAT storage building cleanout back last Summer, but thought certainly someone would have use for it. As far as why I never used the springs, they are hardly the only item I possess or did at one time possess that I never used that's Mazda MX6 1st gen related. I think most people, active or not on this site, have had realistic to grandiose ideas that never came to fruition...count me in there.
Since I read this post I can't stop thinking about these springs.
The situation with my 626GT is that the eibach pro kit is rusty, in the late 90's they where on a probe GT, in 2005 I sandblasted them, powder coated them and put them on my 89mx6 GT, when built the 626, I swapped them off the MX6 gt and put them on the 626 GT putting a near new set on the MX6.
These Eibach's have rusted again.
Because the 626GT has front 2nd gen Stagg struts it sits lower than it should (shorter below the strut perch).
Because I bought and installed stupid Nolathan poly free slipping control arm bushings more load is put on the front coils and struts, any amount of reduced spring rate caused by the metal lost to rust will hinder handling.

My ex- shop partner gave me his 626GT touring sedan, it has Eibach's in better shape but I don't want to part the car, it needs two holes in the floor patched, an engine swap and to pass a safety inspection, I plan on doing the work and giving him back the car. My plan was to remove the rusty coils, clean them, paint them and swap them for the set on the touring sedan.
The issue with doing that aside from the work involve is that the touring sedan will then need an alignment which is 80$ +15% tax.

I have been searching for months trying to find aftermarket universal front coil springs with the same outer and inner diameters as the factory coils, there are 9 varieties of factory front coils, wire diameter is 0.52" to 0.57" outer coil diameter is 6.91" (inner 5.77") lengths range from 14.67" to 11.32" ... But I can't find factory or Eibach pro spring rates so even if I found something that fit I have no idea what to order.
I do have a hydraulic lab press at the shop with a gauge but I have no idea how accurate it is....
looked into sprint cup coil shims, helper springs, bump stop springs, air bag (self containing) bump stop springs... But without knowing what spring rate I am starting with I am just guessing at what might work and with the cost of these items and alignments this could be an expensive game of trial and error I don't want to play.

If the kit you almost tossed is a Pro Kit part# 5511.140
I would be interested in buying them from you. The Box should measure 25.8 inches X 15.4 Inches X 6.9 Inches and should weigh 29.98lbs.

Just to get an Idea of shipping I used zip code 37405 (Chattanooga) to my postal code J9H1C5. UPS seems to have the best shipping price, which is less that the cost of an alignment.

PM me a price.

·
Registered
819 Posts
A few pictures; it's a Pro-Kit as I thought. I tried opening the box and it's never been opened so I left it alone. I will consider selling if you're really interested as it sounds like you are.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts