Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! First post.

I purchased a 95 MX6 GE2 yesterday. Drove it from Sydney to Wollongong in that awful storm.

Got it back to Nowra today and am in the process of cleaning it all up. Been over it with a fine tooth comb and the only faults I have are the drivers side fog light surround is missing, the centre console's lid has a crack and the treble button on the stereo is missing but still works.

On the plus side, new tires, the spare is brand new and looks like it may have been used once. Also had a wheel alignment done recently.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a spare fog light surround and maybe centre console lid? Also if anyone knows of a place making dash mats it would be great.

Thanks, Reece

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
what do you mean centre console lid? do you mean cup holder lid or something? i MAY have a spare ill have to look.

as for dash mats you can get them through mazda

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The centre console lid? It's located between the two seats behind the hand brake. Always called it the centre console. Is there another name for it?

Thanks jmoore!

Might have to drop into the Mazda dealer and order a dash mat tomorrow.

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
i have a grey dash matt if your intrested its only been used once till i changed my interior to all black but the matt is grey

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
yeah but its for a tx5 ... they are different

and stoof mazda and repco are actually around the same price! around $45-60

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couple more questions

Ok, I'm probably going to book it into the Mazda dealer for a look under the bonnet. It's done over 230,000km so I figure the timing belt is due for replacement. Is there anything in particular I should ask the Mazda guys to checkout?

Will ask them for a price on the dash mat when I'm there. $60 sounds good.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
if youve just bought it at 230,000km it should have had timing, etc done already. They can check to see if its done though.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ok, I'm probably going to book it into the Mazda dealer for a look under the bonnet. It's done over 230,000km so I figure the timing belt is due for replacement. Is there anything in particular I should ask the Mazda guys to checkout?

Will ask them for a price on the dash mat when I'm there. $60 sounds good.
Waterpump, plug leads, timing belt, throttle body boot, Valve cover gaskets and all the usual stuff but get them to run it all by you so you can get prices on parts from other places. And $60 sounds about right for a dash mat from repco so if you can get it from mazda for that :tup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Mazda shop

Ok, here we go.

Went to the Mazda dealer, they are a bit of a ripoff. $500 just to check the timing belt in labour. (I can understand, saw the tear down in the manual.)

Booked it in to find a small oil leak. It's not anywhere up top and there isn't any oil on the bonnet. So it can't be too bad.

As for leads, they were replaced about 2 weeks before I bought it, as were the platinum spark plugs!

Mazda was happy to order the dash mat after it was pointed out they could be ordered from Repco... Got it for $80 including postage from Repco in the end.

My concern was the KL engine was probably an interference engine due to the age and the small size. After a bit of searching around the forums, I'm glad to find out it's non-interference. So, a worn out timing belt isn't too critical.

I was expecting to have a long list of parts in this thread by now. Very happy I've only got a foglight surround as the only major issue.:tup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, told them where to go stick it.

Realised that the pressure in the tires was 40psi front and back. No idea why. Put it down to 32 front and 26 back. Instantly fixed the tire whine at high speed and rough ride.

Dad fixed the driver's window for me, that's now no longer misaligned. (Pity it had already damaged the rubber) Decided to fix the corrosion on the windscreen wipers. Only heat cured paint we had was red. Big mistake. Have to fix that up tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer Tommo, will drop you an email when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I'm sure you'd find someone on this forum to check it for less than half of that, it can't be that difficult to check whether or not it's been changed, I don't think it costs $500 in labour to do the job.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got my dashmat today. Repco is the way to go.

Had the front brakes done, they used to squeal and now, they squeal after spending $220. It was veering left for about the first 700km. Gona have to take it back and get it fixed.

Found that there's an oil leak at the back of the engine seal and that's about it. Only leaks when cooling down, so not a big issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts