Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My younger brother got his first car which is a Mazda MX6. We are checking 4WheeOnline for wheel and tire packages as a replacement to the current wheels. Any idea which brand is the best for his car?

·
Registered
74 Posts
My younger brother got his first car which is a Mazda MX6. We are checking 4WheeOnline for wheel and tire packages as a replacement to the current wheels. Any idea which brand is the best for his car?
There's really no such thing as "best" for a car. It's going to be a compromise, based on your budget, your goals, and what's currently available.

For wheels, light, strong and good looking. I look at light and the right size. Since I'm looking at upgrading to Mazda6 brakes, it's gotta be at least 16", and it looks like 17" have better available tire size. I am not 100% sure on which widths will fit, but in general I trust Tire Rack (they're who I have bought wheel/tire combos from in the past)

For tires, will he be driving in temperatures under 40? If so, don't get summer tires, even if he's going to stay out of snow. "best" would be two sets, one summer, one winter, but that tends to be expensive, so I (shamefully) admit I stick to all-seasons, and read the reviews. You want something that's been reviewed, not end-user reviews, but actual test course reviews. Again, Tire Rack has a pretty good set of reviews available. I tend to aim for something that's on the lower end of price, but has demonstrably decent performance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We really need more information. Like starting with what year MX6 and what engine & transmission? And like Mal said, there is no universal 'best' here. At most, there may be some wheel and tire combinations that are among the best for him, but we have no idea what that might be (never mind who might carry such a package).

Is he looking mainly for stock replacement, close to stock sizes/widths/offsets, or something much wider or otherwise different? How important is price?

What's he using this car for? Street (including car shows)? Autocross? Any road course driving (HPDE)? Drag racing? Does this car need to be driven in the cold (likely in snow/slush)?

Norm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts