Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new here and looking into buying an MX-6 (1998) what are things to look out for? And should I be scared if the car has driven more than 200,000 km?

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
No such year, do you want a 88-91 first gen mx6? Or sounds like you want a second gen mx6 which was from 92-95?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looking into a 92 but i also found a advertisememt for one that says 1998 Mazda van € 1.250,-
I'd say that is a typo. I don't recall the mx-6 going up to 1998 in any part of the world. I personally have a 1992, I believe in the US they started from 1993 but are more or less the same thing with a few subtle difference such as headlights, sidemarkers, 4WS, etc.

From what I can tell I don't even feel its a 1996 model although this is very loosely based upon the steering wheel lacking the two thumb buttons on it which I believe came in around 1995. I could be mistaken though as its been a long time since I have looked into all of this.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I believe the 2nd generation was basically from 1992 to 1997. If you buy one, you might get one that needs little work, or you might get one that needs a lot of work. They are fun to drive and more like a luxury sports car. Likely it will need a lot of fresh and new parts before too long. These cars are not easy to work on for the average mechanic, as the working spaces are very small......in some cases they refuse to work on them......so you should be prepared and able to do a lot of the work yourself. That said, with the proper tools, it is not difficult to do the work if you take the time, and almost all the parts can be replaced. A couple repair manuals like Haynes and use of the information on this site is priceless. I plan on keeping mine indefinitely and I use it daily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,

I'm new here and looking into buying an MX-6 (1998) what are things to look out for? And should I be scared if the car has driven more than 200,000 km?
Can't help with a purchase. I just pulled my 'old' 1993 MX-6 LS (Gen 1) Coupe out of my yard to 'restore'. Silver, all OEM everything. No rust, paint is only ok. Sat in my yard tires flat for at least 15 years. I am original owner. Has about 188K. Got it started and tuned-up without a lot of issues. New tires. Shocks and brakes still fine. Engine is running like new. Sounds great. High-speed and rough-road tested. Power is wonderful. It feels new again. So, the mechanical stuff is great. But I have a few interior issues ... mostly brittle plastic dash parts. I am looking for a 93 MX-6 LS donor-car for interior dash parts, Any organ-donors out there? TMT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts