Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...when I press the clutch pedal down @ idle the rpms jump from 1000 to 2000 rpms, hold there for 1/2 second then fall back down to 1000. It generally does this when its cooler outside and is quite annoying.

I've checked for vacuum leaks and cannot find any!

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Radar said:
Ok...when I press the clutch pedal down @ idle the rpms jump from 1000 to 2000 rpms, hold there for 1/2 second then fall back down to 1000. It generally does this when its cooler outside and is quite annoying.

I've checked for vacuum leaks and cannot find any!
If you immediately try to get in a gear after pushing the clutch in at a stop, is it difficult/noisy? The only thing I can think of is that you have a clutch that isnt releasing completely...

Can you give us anymore detail?
-Garrett

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It only does it when the weather is on the cooler side. Below 70deg F. I have no trouble shifting into first at a complete stop, and the pedal adjustment it fine.

How would a clutch not releasing completely cause the idle to jump up and down?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Radar said:

How would a clutch not releasing completely cause the idle to jump up and down?
It doesn't, I was thinking along the wrong lines. My bad.

I have no idea how this can have anything to do with you depressing the clutch pedal, unless there is something really wrong with your clutch. The only electrical link from the clutch pedal to the rest of the car is the NSS, which wouldnt cause this problem.

If the clutch is engaged in neutral, and releasing it causes the idle to jump a lot, the only possible thing I can think of is your gearbox is providing much more than the typical drag.

On real cold mornings, my idle would bounce a little (50 rpms maybe) when releasing or engaging the clutch in neutral, and the car would try to roll forward for a few seconds. (We are talking middle of January, 0 degrees F or colder)

Sorry to ask a dumb question earlier, I wasn't thinking straight. :)
-Garrett

·
Registered
63 Posts
hmm i have the I4 but it sounds similar to my problem

on colder days when i first drive my car what will happen is in the firs 5-10 minutes of driving it will idle erratically. the idle will go from about 1000-2000 several times and the hold at 2000. it stops after a few minutes of driving. never caused me any trouble though

·
Registered
414 Posts
i had same problem on the v6(ls)
and all i had to do is turn the idle screw until it stoped doing it
in my case i had too much air goig in or something.

idle screw, (it worked for me.)
good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts