Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i drive down crappy surfaces, it sounds like my suspension has had the shot. I had it checked out by a pro, he said that it is all fine. Maybe it is the stearing, does anything here often need attention, ie. tightening.

When i turn the stearing wheel to the left and right(30deg off TDC), there is a little knock . Has anyone had this problem! I can only notice it when the car is stationary.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Check to make sure your inner tie-rods are ok. Sometimes the ball&socket tends to wear out and get loose. Grab the wheel at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions and shake it back and forth (it helps if the wheel is jacked off the ground, and make sure the steering wheel is locked) if you feel any play and hear a knocking sound, then that's your problem. It's easier to tell if you take the tie-rod end off the steering knuckle, but that's more of a pain and you run the risk of tearing the boot on the tie rod end. Fortunately the tie-rods are inexpensive and arent too difficult to replace. Well, the passengers side is fairly easy, but the drivers side dosent leave much room for tools/leverage, so I usually have a shop do that one. should take them about a half-hour.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks anarchyx34, i think that i will take it to my mechanic tonight to do the whole job. It sounds a bit complicated for me, Nath.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts