Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. It seems that i am having this strange problem of loosing the cooling liquid from the container on the drivers side. I have checked for potential leaks and it doesn't seems to be leaking anywhere. I also made sure that all piping is on tight enough. It just seems to be kind of evaporating. Can anyone provider any feedback on this?
Thanx

·
Registered
123 Posts
either its going into ur radiator or the T peice is around teh wrong way (sucking coolant out and going onto the ground instead of going into ur radiator)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am pretty sure that the T piece is on the right way. Is there any other possibilities than those mentioned by lino28?

·
Registered
123 Posts
they are the 2 problems i found when i had the same problem??

have u recently changed your coolant? maybe you didnt burp ur radiator and the air is only just escaping and the coolant is going into ur radiator?

maybe ur radiator is leaking? water pump maybe?

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
Water pump leak, this is if your leak is coming from near the water bottle are.................

is it leaking at your water bottle or just in that region?

EG puddle on ground on the water bottle side....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did change the coolant about 2weeks ago. I ran the car for a while so that the air could escape from the radiator, but maybe didn't do it properly (for long enough). So it is the possibility that the remaining air is just escaping and the coolant is going into the radiator. I will monitor this over the next week and see how it goes.

Cam22t, there are no visible signs of coolant leaking ( no puddles on the ground or anyting similar). Just seems to evaporate (or as lino28 says, might be going into the radiator).
P.S. The radiators in our cars seem to take in fair amount of the coolant (i reckon around 8-8.5 litres).

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
You need to get the car up to running temp with the radiator cap off.

As the car gets to temp, the fans will kick in and the themostat will open. When the thermo opens, you will notice a surge in water flow + some bubbles.

When i did mine last, i had to let the thermo open for a few cycles.

It took about 30 mins to do all up, as i had to warm the car up and then top it up as i went.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
99% it will be ur water pump failing...if u cant see any leaks, then do as cam said...but i would put money on it being the water pump if its gradually/slowly losing coolant/water

good luck buddy :p

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
same here..about 2 months ago.
the pump with timing belt cost me $250 to buy
my mechanic installed it for $100 labour ;)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
When topping up coolant, do as Craig said (leave the cap off) and run it until your stat opens. It's not a bad idea to put the front up on ramps to ensure the rad cap IS the hightest point of the cooling system (that IM hose and thermostat housing comes very close to being higher on unlevel ground). Just when you think it's full, operate the throttle to raise engine revs, you'll notice the coolant level drops, fill and replace cap while holding the throttle open.
If you don't have a puddle, I certainly wouldn't be thinking waterpump.

***** 1st thing to check is you radiator cap, replace it even if you don't think you need to ************

·
Registered
793 Posts
get your mechanic to do a pressure test
the non turbo water pump is the same?
check for green/dried coolant around heater hoses at back of motor and under the turbo

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey crusty, i did replace the radiator cap at the same time when i did the coolant change. I might get the mechanic to do a pressure test. there are certainly no puddles or any visible signs of leak anywhere, so i am thinking that it shouldn't be water pump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts