Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the thread on losing oil but all reply's mentions no leak. I had my 94 MX6 V6 fitted with a Unichip wich comes with a dyno tune as part of the package.This happened on thursday. I travelled about 300 Km this weekend and this morning i noticed that my car is leaking oil and lots of it. I have noticed the plug wells filled with a little bit of oil but now it is much worse. I can not determine where the oil leak is coming from. It wil cost me to take of the plastic covers underneath. What seals can go on the engine and where should i look for a oil leak. The leak has taken about half of the level on the empty-full mark on the dipstick.

------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

Got the problem fixed. Leaking ruber seal on oil filter so it was only the cost of a new oil filter.
Got my knickers in a twist for a while but sorted out now. Want top measure the leaking of oil into the spark plug wells so will do the cam gaskets in bout a months time. Thanx to all that have replied.

[Edited by Coenraad on 10-18-2000 at 02:04 AM]

·
Registered
488 Posts
If you have oil in the spark plug wells the valve cover gaskets have developed a leak. This is a common occurence with the KL series engines. you will need to get replacement valve cover gaskets from the Mazda dealer, about $20 USD ea., and a tube of RTV copper sealant. To replace the gaskets you need to remove the intake manifold for access to the rear valve cover, the front is easy to get at, you just need to remove the spark plug wires. Make sure you have a manual before you do this as it will tell you where all the bolts are that you need to take out and also the torque values for putting them back on. This is especially important for the valvo cover bolts as they are only torques to in-lb specs and can break very easily. Once this is done re-check the engine for oil leaks. The other likely spot is from the oil pressure sender unit which is located directly above the oil filter ont he front of the engine. If you are losing a lot of oil and leaving a small puddle every tiem you park this is the more likely source of the leak. Easiest way to test for this is to turn on the engine and look for any oil leaking from near the front of the engine. The sender will only leak under pressure so the engine has to be running for it to leak. Good luck.
Almost forgot the updated sending unit only cost $18 USD at the dealer, but you will need to loosen the radiator and fan to get access to it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Ditto

is that the only place you are loosing oil from, the inside of the spark plug wells? Or is there any other place. in any case.. How many miles does the engine have? Have the valve covers ben changed before? In any case. When you DO change them, MAKE SURE YOU LABEL EVERY SINGLE LITTLE HOSE AND BOLT ETC. The biggest pain in the ass is the manifold. Remember, when you remove all of the wires and hoses and think it should come out... THERE ARE STILL MORE bolts and nuts to remove. The KL-03 has a mysterious bolt in the back of th emanifold. You can't see it.. you can only feel it.... you have to remove this bolt in order fro it to come off... so feel around and when you find it.. remove it.... Good thing is that you don't have to put it back....it just holds a wire harness.... GOOD LUCK!

G

·
oh no oil

ok i am not leeking oil but my car is kinda dogging, and i pulled my spark plugs, i have a 93 so they are in the engine, and thier were oil on 4 out of the six of them, does anybody know how much it will be to get it fixed, i know that its the problem because i cleaned them all and the car ran fine for a couple days, thanks emexsix

·
Registered
488 Posts
You definitely have the leaky valve cover problem. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined save yourself the money and do it. It's not really hard just takes a lot of time. Just have a manual handy and someone who has done it before doesn't hurt. Most shops will charge you $200-300 for the labor and the parts are only $60 total for both gaskets and the RTV sealant. The front as I said is simple it's the rear that's a pain as you need to remove the intake manifold. But if you take it slow, label everything and don't get frustrated it is doable. My first one took about 6 hours but that was because I decided to clean the throttle body, replace the fuel filter and was installing my phenolic spacers at the same time. Probably didn't help that i had 5 members of my car club helping, nothing else will slow you down faster than helpful comments from the peanut gallery.:)

G

·
oil

ok so it will only cost about 60 for the part if i can do it my self, i might do that it would be interesting and cheaper. the middle 2 dont leak though!! if i dont fix it for a while is that going to be a problem or should i do it as soon as possible.

G

·
ok

alright i will try it, where is the best place to get the parts a mazda dealership. damn i cant wait to get it done to have my full performance again,

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You can get the valve cover gaskets at a Mazda dealership or a Ford dealership (tell them it's for a Probe GT, same year). They're identical and may be a few bucks cheaper (mine were).

Tyson
95 LS (for sale)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts