Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... My mx-6 had recently started to burn a good bit of oil (it may be leaking some but I haven't noticed any leaks or oil on the ground when it's been parked) and it's smoking. It only smokes when you first start it and if you rev the engine... I've never seen it when driving, but when it was at my friends school and it had been running for a few mins and they revved the engine a nice puff of black smoke came out the exhaust. I'm not completely positive how much oil it's burning, but I know I checked my fluids within the last 2 or 3 weeks and everything was fine and yesterday I had no oil. I'm told this is probably a problem with my oil rings. What other possibilites are there? I'm bringing it tuesday to get looked at and it'd be helpful if I had a couple things to tell them to check for because the people who are working on it aren't overly familiar with mx-6s. Thanks ahead of time guys.

P.S- my new mx-6 sucks! :(

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Usually black smoke means running rich, but it could be confused with burning oil smoke. My old 95 LS occasionally let out a puff, but not very often. It was only on cold startup usually. Are you running 10w30 or 5w30 oil?

Check for leaks. The obvious spots are the valve cover gaskets on the V6, but also check around the oil pressure sending unit (right above the oil filter).

A non-functioning PCV system can also cause oil burning. It's the little plastic elbow sticking out of the front valve cover. Yank it out and wiggle it; if it shakes it's okay.

How much oil have you lost? There should be about a quart between the full and add lines on the dipstick.

Or just give me your MX6 and some cash and I'll give you a nice almost new Protee5 :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Usually, when you only see smoke after the car has sat awhile, it means worn valve stem seals. Like Tyson said, black smoke is normally associated with fuel, blue smoke is oil, and white would be water.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well my fuel system was really dirty and nasty, the fuel filter will be replaced tuesday. Could that be responsible for the smoke?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Usually black smoke is excessive fuel in the air-fuel mixture. It's best to make sure your plugs, wires, fuel filter and air filter are up to date. This along with functioning O2 sensors will make sure the as is burning properly.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I agree with what everybody else says but....... Our 6's are well known to have issues with piston rings after appx. 100K miles. Mine started losing pretty large quatities of oil and smokes on a cold start. I too never notice it while driving. I had it checked by the dealer and sure enough the piston rings are going. The dealer wants appx. $2400 to repair. I'd say now is a good time to get your car checked and start thinking about the ZE swap. That's what I'm doing. You can get the engine for around $1200 and I got a mechanic from the local mazda dealership that will install it for $400.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts