Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I am new to this...I am a female trying to do a mans job here lol...I have a 91 Mazda MX6.I have all kinds of problems here...I have alot of fuses blowing,The Meter,radio,room,tail,well the dome lights not working plus the seat belts stopped working and the dash also the power side mirrors stopped working...I dropped the gas tank and took everything out of the car to get to the wiring harness...I dont think that its getting power to the plugs under the back seats...I am so lost here...I cant get the pump to work and everythingthat is to the fuse box too...I looked at the wires and cant find anything but I also dont know that much about it...Plus there is no one around here that wants to work on a Mazda....Help Please....Thanks

·
Registered
457 Posts
from the title of your post it sounded like you were just workin away on those fuses, and you go "hey jessica, hand me that wrench...jessica? jess?...hello?" and you turn around to find her gone. and this lead you to say you "lost female workin on fuses"

nevermind i am an idiot...and im not sure why i used jessica...just came to me

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is so funny.....I am the one lost here...LOL...I am so turned around in wires that I see them in my sleep....I never knew how much wires was in a car....I think it should be illegal to have that many wires....lol

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Believe me, i've lost a good bit of sleep myself chasing down electrical gremlins. lol.

Sounds like you have a short somewhere, which, unfortunately, is a difficult thing to diagnose over the net. have you checked all the fuses? there is a fuse box under the hood and a fuse box by your feet in the passenger compartment on the driver's side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have everything out of the inside of the car...I have run up and down the wiring harnes to look for burned or messed up wires but have none that I can see...I have check the fuse box under the dash with a test light and a low volt meter and everything reads fine but it blows these 5 fuses....I was hoping that the fuel pump not working is b/c of this wiring thing and I checked the connector under thew back seat for power to the pump and no power there but I just understand how all these fuses are blowing and its not all connected in some way....but I may be wrong....I cant say much b/c this is my first time working on a Mazda....I know its hard here to say what it could be without looking at it....I understand that but I guess I am lookin for anyone to just shoot a guess at me....I am up for any clues.....Thanks

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
well for starters.... where are you from... sometimes you can find someone from your area that is gracious enough to even stop by and give you a hand

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Could be a ground issue?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Do you have a multimeter? If you are blowing fuses, the first thing to do is to go through and check each fuse socket for continuity (sp) to the ground. Which ever one (or ones) is grounded, that is your problem circuit.

Do you have a mazda workshop manual? If you do you can then track down everthing in that fuse's circuit and hopfully find your problem. If you don't have a manual come back and we'll give you some scans.

Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks to all....I have had someone to tell me to put foil to the fuse where the fuse would go and see where it starts smoking then go from there but it sounds crazy to me but if anyone in here thinks or tried it then I guess I will....I do have a manual to the car that I ordered and I have read and read it but I cant really get anything from it when I use the meter...I mean I always get that it reads good....I am from the area South Fulton Tn....Once again thanks to all for helping me....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like something is not hooked up correctly. :eek: Make sure all your main feed wires are correct and your GROUND wires are correct. Make sure you have the battery in the right way.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
one thing to look at...has anyone installed a stereo recently, or anything else electrically related?

also, if you click the service manual cd on my sig, you'll see the mazda factory wiring diagrams.....they will probably not be 100% because of the year difference....but should be a good starting point.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am dancing on the car now....No really I have found the problem...I got really mad at took out the console and the carpet well I about cried when I seen that the wiring harness was burned into the plastic piece that was holding it together...all the wires was burned together...well I calmed down and rewired it all and everything is working now...Now all I like is the fuel pump and radiator....My question is I plugged in the fuel pump but left the fuel lines off...I turned the key on and notyhing happened...I thought that it would pump the gas thru the lines onto the ground...I didnt try starting the car so did I do this wrong and pump doesnt work or could it be working and I have to hook it all up again to see....Thanks to all that has been helping me....

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
cograts. The fp won't pump unless the key is in the START position (or in the RUN position with air coming in the vaf)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
that wiring harness that was melted was melted for a reason. what caused the wires to melt. sounds like something drawing too many amps. if lights and dash thing were inop and now the fuel pump is inop sound like maybe the pump has crapped out. see if u can get hold of a wiring harness book from a mazda dealer and the shop foreman could mabe give u a photocopy of the pages where the harness leads to and see how the power and grounds in the affected system. i also have a 92 wiring harness book that might be compatible. pm me with the email and maybe i could copy some pages and send them to u.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone...I tried it and well as my life goes here....The fuel pump is out and I get to buy another one...Goody for me...lol...Well I guess I will be back to this sight from time to time...Take care and hope u all have a Safe and Good Holidays....

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
might as well buy a Walbro 190lph pump... :) you can/should get one for under $90, even on eGhey :tup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts