Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after topping off some fluids in the engine i turned it on and examined it carefully and noticed a loud sound coming from it... loud enough i can still hear it with the engine closed... i listened closely and the sound is loudest a bit under the intake manifold and inbetween the manifold i can see some oil stains... P.S. i listened to the belts and they sound smooth... the sound im hearing is like a fast paced ticking or knocking... im suspecting carbon knock but i cleaned out my TB about 2 months ago.. maybe its still dirty? any ideas? TIA

·
Registered
27 Posts
if the sound is a ticking, then it is most likely your HLA's (hydraulic lash adjusters)...they begin to tick when your oil starts to get dirty...change your oil and filter and that should do the job:)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
correct me if im wrong but arnt the HLAs located in the cylinder head? this sound is from the intake manifold..

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thnx rawdawg...

from the link i determined it is in fact friction-gear noise since its coming from the top left hand side of the engine where the sounds are coming from (left-side of intake manifold)... im just glad it wont have any detrimental effects and its only for "asthetics"... thnx again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts