Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as the title states my cars road noise gets increasingly louder as i speed up. There is no metal on metal grinding which kinda made me rule out the wheel bearings as i originally thought, but it is really bothering me. There is very mild vibration on the gas and brake pedal, i figure thats me being paranoid though. Any ideas what this might be, brakes hanging up maybe?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
get some better tires maybe...... could be needs an alignment? wheels unbalanced? wheel rotation?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its kind of a humming/loud road noise. Just sounds like im sitting right by a tire while i drive. Ya all my tires are about 60% worn, different brand/tread pattern. I havent had my tires aligned and balanced for quite some time.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Im going to go ahead and say tires is your problem.

I got some pretty bad road noise on my bald ass MS6 tires, thankfully some new ones are in the mail.

Did this just happen out of the blue? or have you just noticed it over time now that it is louder?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i got in a car accident (civic hit me at 70mph) and snapped two tie rods, busted a fender, and cracked one of my aluminum rims. Got everything fixed, used a steel rim but put it on the back etc etc. Mechanic said tie rods were the only problem, everything checked out good. About 2 months later put a tire on the back then after about 300 miles the noise just kinda started to happen, no change after 1000 miles so thats why i was kinda ruling out the wheel bearings, just a loud road noise, no metal on metal grinding or anything.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
usually road noise gets louder as tires wear down. If you have another car or know of someone with good tires you can swap with temporarily, you can see if the road noise changes. if it does, there's your problem, or at least PART of the problem

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i took the wheel off and inspected, the sound is coming from near the drivers side wheel, the brakes were fine, the tire is ok, had some force against turning the wheel so im guessing the wheel bearing is ok, didnt hear any scraping when i did it, i poked around and didnt see anything out of the oridinary but its getting worse, very light scraping noise now that i put my wheel on, any more ideas from this, inner wheel bearing maybe?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
from what you describe now, sounds like some kind of bearing

Well i took the wheel off and inspected, the sound is coming from near the drivers side wheel, the brakes were fine, the tire is ok, had some force against turning the wheel so im guessing the wheel bearing is ok, didnt hear any scraping when i did it, i poked around and didnt see anything out of the oridinary but its getting worse, very light scraping noise now that i put my wheel on, any more ideas from this, inner wheel bearing maybe?

·
Registered
449 Posts
does the noise happen at any RPM? like start and porgressively get louder?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much is it generally to replace a wheel bearing?

·
Registered
316 Posts
wheel bearings are usually around $80-100 but you gotta take your hub off and take it too a machine shop to have the old bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in, they'll charge anything from $20-50 for that. or you can go the easy route like me and just go to the auto wrecker and find a good bearing. Prices very a lot there, ive seen anything from $20-150 for the autowrecker bearing

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
well took it to the shop to figure out what was wrong, said both of my wheel bearings are shot, drivers side more then the other one. They said 500 bucks to do both sides lol im like ok let me think about it...no....I can buy wheel bearings and do it myself for a quarter of the price!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ive seen the wheel bearings on ebay for cheap, although im sure the bearings arent pressed into the piece. Is there anywhere besides the salvage yard i can get wheel bearings pressed in already and ready to install?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts