Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed the other day that my engine is making a tickings sound that sounds just like the HLA noise but this wont go away when the engine warms up and increases with engine speed. i opened up the timing belt cover to see if it could be coming from the tensioner but the noise didnt get any louder, i also did an engine flush and oi change and no change. It seems to be coming from the rear cyl bank from either cyl 1 or 3. i have searched and searched and found a few posts with the same or similar problem but i havnt found any success stories or solutions. I think it might be a collapsed lifter or maybe the friction gear and if it is am i doing any damage to the motor by driving it? I am going to try and do a compression test on monday or teusday. thanks in advance for any input

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i got one more guestion, does the KLZE use the same Lifters as the KLDE? i was looking at an ebay item and it said the lifters dont fit in SOME KLZE engines

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i found the exact problem, my 24 valve motor has become a 23, one of my lifters on i believe Cyl 4 is collapsed, so i already ordered some new heads, i think i'm just gonna rebuild them and maybe mill them down a lil to bump up compression.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Did you actually see the collapsed lifter? That sounds a lot like friction gear noise. Fixable with a new revised friction gear spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts