Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was on the freeway the other day and i had it in fourth gear at about 2,200 rpms going up a hill and i floored it and it must have been just after i hit 6 psi that i herd a loud ass clank and then a bang and a jolt and then a big ass puff of black smoke came from the back of my car, i am asumeing black=rich (carbon) but anyone know how i can remedy this, i have a stock ignition setup, maybe swicth that over to msd or sumthing i dont know, any insight would be greatly appreciated. thanx nik.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
is the clanging and smoke now constant?

if it was just a one time thing, backfire maybe? are you running a cat still? might how blown a chunk out the back.

if youre still getting smoke now, pay attention to the noises.. maybe a bent valve, etc.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now it was just a big puff of black sootie smoke and then it was normal,

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
sk8ernik04 said:
now it was just a big puff of black sootie smoke and then it was normal,
crawl under and tap the cat, sounds like you blew some of the ceramic material out.

if you dont have one, then i have no idea :D

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
sk8ernik04 said:
no cat here
check your plugs - make sure theyre a decent color.

if youre running very rich somewhere, and the spark blew out or just wasnt strong enough in one cylinder, the fuel may have pooled a little bit and then blammo lol.

·
Registered
744 Posts
This is called detonation my friend. If your using an FMU I would guess thats the culprit. If you have a fuel pressure gauge monitor that to see what its doing because when it jolts and jerks like that followed by banging its usually predetonation. Where are your plugs gapped and what kind are they?

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
DrBrown said:
This is called detonation my friend. If your using an FMU I would guess thats the culprit. If you have a fuel pressure gauge monitor that to see what its doing because when it jolts and jerks like that followed by banging its usually predetonation. Where are your plugs gapped and what kind are they?
i've never had predet that caused an explosion and tons of smoke :) audible ping yes at times when playing with boost, but flat out bang? oof. lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its not predetenation based on a lean condition anyways if it was, which i dont think it is it would be from after burn a conditoion of running way too rich. ill check my plug asap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts