Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All. 96 6 cyl 200k. My 6 sat for about 5 weeks while I was away at work. When I got home started the car, drove about 3 blocks and it quit running. All the dash lights where on ,no warning lights, and the engine quit. No noise or any other indication of a problem, just engine not running. My initial thought was a fuel / filter prob so towed to shop and they had to replace disty, then said timming belt had jumped and needed to be replaced. Stopped them and had it towed to my mech. He checked timming and belt , some ware, but not what he considered a problem (he changed it at 160k). But he says there is about 60 psi on front bank, back is fine. The car had been running fine before I left and no one else has driven it. He is thinking either valves are stuck or the head is cracked. No oil in engine coolent.
Any ideas before I make the comitment to pull head ?
Thanks
jb

·
Registered
380 Posts
200K miles or Kms? Big difference between the two lol.

Does it crank over at all? If it does, is there spark?

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
So had the timing belt jumped ? was it replaced ? lined up correctly ?

to only have 60 across the bank means either valves open(bad timing), blown gasket across all three cyls, or all 3 piston rings shot.. I'll go for the belt jumping and the front bank cams are out of time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the "mileage" is in kilometers.Mech says there is spark but no fire.
cheers
jb

1 - 4 of 4 Posts