Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am one of the 6 owners who suffers from the low idle in drive. I have consulted many people and they have come up short. Well, on a whim, I purchased a Haynes manual, and started looking for idle adjustments. I found that there is a small solenoid located somewhere in the engine compartment that "controls idle under certain driving conditions" I'm pretty sure that's what is wrong with our cars, but I have not been able to physically locate this solenoid. In my experience with electronics (I'm and electronics tech in the navy), I've found relays and solenoids wear out quick, and 8 years is pushing that time frame :p By far. So, if anyone can physically locate this solenoid, please let me know. I'll get some more specs out of the manual when I look at it next to help guide our search! Thanks for any help, and hopefully this will fix our problems.

BreezyMX

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
What you're lookin for is the IAC solenoid. It's a cylendrical shaped thing on the side of the throttle body, facing the firewall. They work 2 ways, mechanically and electrically. The mechanical way controls fast idle when the car is cold. It runs coolant through it. when the coolant gets warm, it starts to close. Sometimes they get clogged up with shit and wont open properly. The electrical part of it controls idle for electrical loads and the A/C. If you remove this unit, clean the hell out of the inside with carb cleaner or something. You need to use "make a gasket" or something when you put it back. This solved the problem on Kenny's car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
do i have the same problem

this is pretty much the first winter that i've had my 6. And so far it sucks ass. It dies everytime i come to a stop even after its warmed up. When i start it it revs up to about 1500 rpms then drops steadily down to 0

i have to throw it into nuetral, tap the brake, tap the gas tap the brake, tap the gas, tap...... until it stops so that it doesnt' die.

Is this the same problem u guys are having?

·
Registered
405 Posts
as far as the idling problem check to see if your mass air sensor is coming loose. mine came loose on me and it just kept dying too. also for the tranny shifting hard, just are cars. we have discussed it and we all had similar problems. so we figured it was normal. as far as it handling poor in the snow.. must be the driver i had no problem when i lived in michigan. no offense intended.

·
Registered
60 Posts
poor driver

if ur talking to me, i dont' have a problem gettin around in the snow, i think it handles pretty good. My problem is that the cold makes it die and not idle, other than that i would love this as a winter vehicle.

thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
idle probs

sleak: Check your air intake hose. This is THE biggest source of idle problems. This is the big black hose that goes into the intake manifold that says "2.2L Fuel Injection"... this hose always tears on these older cars (especially in winter).. check to see if it has a hole in it... duct tape is a good temporary fix.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BREEZYMX, did you get a new iac solenoid or did a good cleaning solve the problem. My idle speed goes way down to 300 when I turn the A/C on. The local Mazda dealer wants $350 for a new IAC solenoid... pretty steep I think. I have done all of the other items that have been talked about on this web site but nothing has helped so far so I think I'll tear into the IAC and give it a good cleaning.

Thanks...culater

·
Registered
113 Posts
Has anyone tried
www.fordpartnetwork.com for the iac solenoid...MIght be worth a try you guys that need one. Especially if they're a good price

1 - 10 of 10 Posts