Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My low oil pressure light came on today. It is the first time this light has ever come on. At first it only came on when the engine was idling and would go off when I gave it gas, now it stays on all the time but only once the engine is up to operating temperatures. I haven't driven it except around the neighborhood to warm it up. The Haynes manual suggest worn out oil pump and/or bearings. Has anyone had this happen before? Could it just be a sensor?
Thanks,
Chris
(it just rolled over 100,000miles)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Have you checked to see if you actually have oil in the engine? Usually when the red light comes on (and it means it!), it's too late. Definitely verify that you have oil first.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
what he said

if thats not it, im guessing it is, cheack for vacuum leaks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked it immediately after the light came on and it was fine, but I knew that wasn't the problem because I check my oil all the time (engine burns a little).

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
HooKer said:
I checked it immediately after the light came on and it was fine, but I knew that wasn't the problem because I check my oil all the time (engine burns a little).
How much is a little? A well taken care of KL shouldn't burn any, unless you are regularly beating on it at high RPM.

Did someone not change the oil for years or something? Perhaps you just are unlucky enough to have an oilpump that has gone south? In any case, if you've been driving like this, its likely time for a ZE or rebuild.
-Garrett

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It burns or uses about a quart in between oil changes but I do beat on it pretty hard. I am very paranoid about my oil and always have been, that's why this light scares me. I WON'T drive it with this light on. I have changed the oil religously (every 3,000 miles) since 40,000miles and the previous owner was a women and her husband was anal about oil changes too. Maybe it is just time for a new oil pump. How expensive is that?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I would install a mechanical gauge just long enough to check the oil pressure. If you aren't comfortable doing that, tow it to a shop that will. I'd hate to replace the pump to find out your oil pressure switch is bad.

Does/did the engine knock or make strange sounds when the light was on?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It just got towed to the shop. They're going check the pressure with a mechanical gauge. The shop just thinks something got stuck on my oil sending unit. I think I'm going to have them install an oil pressure gauge in the car. Autometer gauges seem to be the best to me, any suggestions?
Thanks for the input,
Chris

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It just got towed to the shop. They're going check the pressure with a mechanical gauge. The shop just thinks something got stuck on my oil sending unit. I think I'm going to have them install an oil pressure gauge in the car. Autometer gauges seem to be the best to me, any suggestions?
Thanks for the input,
Chris

I was going to check it myself and install the new oil gauge but between work and school I don't have time to mess with it.

·
The Full Dong
2,595 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 626. The oil pickup line got clogged with sludge because the previous owner did not take care of the car at all. You do NOT want to have to replace your oil pump at a shop. It is very expensive. I think alldata recommends charging about 8 hours just in labor alone.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Yes you don't want the shop to change the pump, i did it over the weekend, mayor pain in the ass. You have to remove the timming belt, y-pipe, oil pan, the pump, ac compressor, ps/wp belt tensioner, and i think thats it. I took everything out on saturday took me roughly 3 hours, and i put it back on sunday and it took me from ~8pm til 4am. Using airtools, and ive taken all the other parts before so i knew what i was doing except the pump, that i took my time inspecting it and the sprocket, only to find it was a little worn out and my oil pressure problems were really comming from my oil pickup which got dented when my oil pan was dented and in turn it dented the pickup, right in the openning, and it was cloged with some RTV sealant. But while I was there I swapped the pump with one that had less milage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I was so relieved that I didn't have to get a new pump. The shop told me to stop using the Valvoline Quick Lube because their oil filters suck and could have caused the problem... anyway they changed the oil and filter, and now it runs great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts