Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok
going home today after work..
stuck on teh monash fwy, i was playing around wiht my apexi turbo timer..

i switch it to the voltage meter and notice it is raeding low...

like ranging lowest from 12.5, to 13.1

now all i had on was radio, rear dimister, and lights on
the car was not acting weird, it was actually quite fine..

just low voltage readings. i dont have a multimeter, so i dont know how accurate the apexi is.

could my alternator be on teh way out?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i gave it a quick squirt on the off ramp, and voltage creeps up like .1 or .2

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
normal ? LOL

asif, normarl is around 14volts at idle. got my alternator rebuilt, 14.1volts at idle turn on lights on high beam all other accressories and its like 13.7 then it comes back up too 14volts.

i win.

·
Registered
541 Posts
stereo (with amp) and demister plus lights - there is atleast 10amp draw from the alt - so yeah I would say you are in the 'normal' range - the alts in the gen1's are crap. It bearly has enough to run the engine, stock radio and hi-beams. Add the demister and an amp - its well over rating!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
when I have stereo (2 amps etc..), lights on.. including spotties and washer led's, two gauges lit up my volt reading is between 13-14 it sometimes creeps a lil lower if liek high beams are on aswell and the stereo is really pumping so I'd say the 13-14 range is quite normal..

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
exactly, at idle thej car should read around 14 v..
hence why im asknig the question, if its alternator related?
or could my battery need to be replaced....

ive never read 14v on the gauge, its always been in the 13's.. with or without lights etc on

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
is that the apexi pen turbo timer voltage reading ???

if so yea thats them, they suck ass.

but anyway, when u use your demister usually you would get .5 + voltage drop.

the demister is basically a short circuit, connects + to - through a wire which heats up and de fogs the window.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I still reckon its more likely your earth straps than the altinator being 'a problem' even tho they are poor.

Grab a multimeter and check the V's across the battery while the engine is running. Also, our alts dont make full output until around 2000rpm, so rev the engine and what the v's rise.

If its reading low still I'd be spending $ on upgrading the earths first. If that doesnt fix the problem then its cost you less that $100 to know that you do have good earths then spend $ on replacing alternator - thats gonna cost $400 min (fitted)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info guys...
ill pass out karma....

and yeah rolli, new eearths were the planned upgrade, until i got oil leaking troubles

·
Registered
539 Posts
With my lights, rear demister, stereo and heater on last night, my voltage dropped to around 11.8v according to Wolf3D. Now I have an upgraded Bosch 80AMP alternator installed so is there anyway I can boost the voltage at idle?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts