Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I am very new to the world of the MX-6, however I have been a Mazda-head for about 7 years now as I own two RX-7's. Other than the excellent build quality I find that the MX-6 has little else in common with the once flagship of the Mazda fleet. I have noticed one thing that erks me though. The engine revs quite high at highway speeds. 4000 RPM at 130Km/h ? That's crazy! My '90 RX-7 spins about 3000 at the same speed. Is there any way to lower that number without re-mortgaging the house? Somewhere in the 3000-3500 RPM range would be acceptable for 130K...

Thanks much!

-spish

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
The FS (4-cyl) version of the G25M-R transaxle has a taller 5th gear (0.717:1 versus 0.795:1 for the V6) which would lower your 5th gear 130KPH cruise from 4000 about 3607RPM. Still not great, but one of the only realistic ways to lower cruise RPM.

Even if you could find a taller final drive, acceleration in all gears would suffer as a result. By swapping the 5th gear, only high-speed cruise is affected.

Also, AFAIK, you or a competent transmission shop can change the 5th gear components without removing the transaxle from the car: the 5th gear parts are located under the stamped metal cover on the end of the gearbox. Once the cover is removed, the gears are right there for easy access.

G

·
I never did like the 5th in the RX-7... yes it was good for cruise at .697, but the car fell on its face once out of 4th. Mine is an '87 sport...

Remember also that the V6 has a rather short stroke, so it is more of a higher revving engine and was geared to take advantage of that. Honestly, I was a bit disturbed by that fact also running such high rpm, but you get used to it. Besides, gas milage will still be better then the rex (oh well)!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts