Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i recently got some 2nd gen probe springs and struts , from what i've read they are a direct fit for the mx6 for the front at least. ok i know that most the time when you lower your car you need to realign because your camber is going to be off.

do i need to do anything else besides go get a regular alignment or do i need to get a camber kit too?

·
Registered
737 Posts
From my experience a full alignment should adjust camber. I think the camber kits are mainly for the coilovers, so you can adjust your own alignment. I dropped my car, had bad tire wear, got an alignment. Put on brand new tires, even wear now.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Okay, so now we're going to hear from someone who has done the conversion and lived with it.

The front struts/springs will bolt up to the stock pieces with no problem. The only thing you will need up front is toe adjustment, which you will get with your alignment.

For the rear, there are three main considerations: The mounting plates on the struts are to close together to fit over the mount on the spindle, and the bolt holes will leave your wheels in POSITIVE camber by about 1deg (top of the wheel sticking out farther than the bottom). The upper spring seat from the 1g is too big in diameter for the top of the 2g spring. you'll either have to fab up a spacer out of some thick metal or just stick it up there and hope it doesn't shift around too much (not too smart, but it'll get you around for a little). You'll have to press the plates apart or grind them down by a few tenths. Simple camber bolts cleared up my camber problem (unless you want to talk to gavin and AdamTurbo about those trick custom rear camber plates $$$). Alignment should shore up the toe and camber adjustment (with the hardware).

On both, the clips for attaching the brake lines are not in the same spot or same direction (for the clip). I haven't found a better solution than zip-ties.

I like the way the suspension handles for a stock configuration. Iv'e had car buddies ride in it and say "wow, this is a stock setup?" I think the 2gs are heavier (?debated?), plus critics said the 2gs rode nicer and more together than the 1gs (better strut valving is my guess). I'll probably be looking at new swaybars and polyurethane before anything stiffer on the spring/strut side.

Also, to clear up a common misconception by members of this board, the 2g springs do not lower the car, the shorter strut bodies do. The springs are the same height as my stock 89gt springs (LX springs are known to be a little taller, but now we're getting into splitting hairs) and the same (if not higher) spring rate, and the rear 2g springs you can't use with 1g struts anyway.

Good luck.:tup:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good info, if i have any trouble doing the setup expect some PM from me if you don;t mind hotrodmex.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your help, i got the front set on already, and i can definatly tell a diffrence, pretty happy with it so far but i only got a chance to drive at night so i didn;t get a chance to test it as much as i wanted to. so far i can tell my car does not sway as much anymore, but that probably has some to do with my energy suspension endlinks that i put in at the same time. all in all i am very pleased.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
So if I would want to lower only the front for now then would I definitely need 2nd G. springs to go with those 2nd G. struts or would 1st G. GT springs handle it just as well? Also would the struts/springs have to be definitely from a V6 or would 2,0L's be OK too?

Sry for lame Q's but I want to get it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would recommend just getting both 2nd gen struts/coils, but i got a feeling the coils may work fine from 1st gen, and all these are from the 2.0L.

Also, if you really want to do it right the first time, i suggest just buying the struts new, and the coils used, also on mine i don;t know if it is normal, but i ended up having to modify my turning bearings by making the hole slightly bigger for the second gen strut to fit through. You may be able to avoid this just by buying the turning bearings from the 2nd gen. all in all it was a suprisingly easy process, this was my first time touching my suspension, and besides my alignment being off (wheel is off to the left and car drives straight and camber is off) it's nothing that i didn;t expect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts