Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im 17 and have a 95/LS with a 5 speed. right now im just going for looks and would like to lower it but im short on cash. they are selling some really cheap coilover's on ebay( like $59) and some eibach, and dropzone. i havn't been able to figure out what brand the really cheaps are. so, are the cheap coilover's better than say the dropzone coilover's? or should i stay away from them and get some eibach springs that lower maybe and inch and a half? plus i really don't know what and inch and a half drop looks like. if any one could give me some advice, i would really appreciate it.
thanks
jestermx6

·
Registered
28 Posts
what up jester, im 18 and i know what you mean about being broke. but anyway, i would probably stay away from the cheapo no name brand lowering springs, you should definitely go with the eibachs 1.3 inch drop. thats what ive got on my 6 runnin on some 17's and 205/40/R17 tires, it really looks great. if you really want to lower it more than that, then sell the mx6 and buy a civic hatch, slam it to the ground with some 17's and your straight. just go with the name brand, do you really want to chance it with somethin like your suspension?

TP

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey TPM_989 do u have pics of your ride, because I have 17's and I want to see what it looks like with the pro-kit. If u dont have pics , could u tell me if it gets rid of that ugly gap.

Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Personally, I suggest ground control coilovers, but since you said youre low on cash, go with Sprint or Spring Tech lowering springs, 1.8" drop. Thats what I have. It took care of the wheel gap in the front nicely, but theres still a fairly large gap in back. I guess thats just how the MX6 sits. Thats why I suggest Ground Control coilovers. Dont get Dropzone coilovers!! I got those at first, and had a big problem, that I dont want to go into. If you lower your car, make sure you get a camber kit and get it aligned asap. Thats another big problem if you dont
Chris

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
you dont need a camber kit with the mx6.. our camber is adjustable, just get an alignment and they will be able to get your camber back to almost perfect! Unless you are going really low, but for a 1-2" drop its not needed!
I have dropzone springs, im fairly happy with them, they provide a decent ride on stock struts, handling is much better, and it got rid of lots of wheel gap, the mx6 is very high stock, but i would like another 3/4-1" of drop.. Most of all they werent expensive at all, i bought them off ebay for 80 or 90something.. My front and back has dropped exactly the same amount.. if you get coilovers keeping your stock struts isnt even an option, your ride will be terrible..

·
Registered
198 Posts
either go eibacch, or go with H&R springs. I personally have the h&r's and i love them, they lowered my 6 to wear i wanted it and they haven't rusted or deteriorated for the past 2 years now... money is money and if you want to put things on your car, u better believe your going to spend a good amount of it. Remember that your car is not an investment, so all this stuff u plan on adding won't really help u in the long run.

·
Registered
28 Posts
no pics dawg, sorry

man, i dont have a way to get pics on the net, but the gap isnt as noticable, it looks really clean, but if you want to ELIMINATE the gap you need to drop it some more, like 1.8 or 2 inches, or i guess you could try tuckin 18's lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yo, thanks for all the replies and if anybody has anymore, keep posting! im keeping all your replies in consideration!
-jestermx6-

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
How much does it cost overall to get your car lowered (-the springs) on average?

·
Registered
787 Posts
eXtreMX-6 said:
Has anyone tried Sprint Struts? Or what a good strut to use with Eibach's that isnt crazy hurtful to my pocket? I was thinking maybe $250 for struts? let me know. Thanks!
Dave
KYB GR2's on ebay for $220 shipped. Some here say they are good with Eibachs.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i would go with the kyb's u can find them for 50 a piece on tirerack.com and nopionline.com i think.. I wouldnt buy the sprint/ST ones off ebay just because i havent heard anything about them yet.. My friend bought some cheap struts like that and they ride much better than factory but their built quality wasnt to great and one had to be replaced already, the other has the perch half broken already

G

·
Every brand has a unique style of spring. Eibach are very thick, especially in the front, while Intrax and H&R are a little thinner and taller. I have personally used all three of these brands (in the search to lower my car perfectly). All brands did not lower the car as much as they claim, even after three months. The Intrax springs lowered the front the most out of all the springs, but the back sat really high, while eibach lowered the rear and not the front. Here is what I suggest:

The only way to get an MX6 down like a civic or 200sx is to cut the coils. I sent the H&R back, kept the Intrax (to sell the car with) and cut the Eibachs. In total, I cut 1.6 coils off the front and at least 4 or something off the back. In total maybe a good 3 inch drop? Eibachs are great to cut because they are so taught in the middle of the spring that the car will never bottom out when you cut em, but this also means a harsher ride. After cutting all of the dead coils off on the rear springs, I took the car for a spin and the ride was not affected on the back really at all, but the front springs don't absorb any impact, so its all being transferred to the body of the car which translates into a a less than desirable ride. If you do cut springs though, make sure that the car sits evenly, exceesive lean in the front will make the ride very harsh, and the car will not handle well. I had a lot of problems with the front lower than the back. With all this said, my car turns a frickin dime, and most importantly, looks intimidating. Also, I have never had any problems scraping on speed bumps.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Don't ever cut your springs.

That has to be the single most taboo in the suspension world. I won't even bother with listing the evils of cutting springs since any number of places will lecture you hours on the evil of it all.

And a 3 inch drop out of cut Eibachs???? That is compeltely foolhardy AT BEST. The Eibachs were made to drop about 1.5 on the I4 and about 1.8 on the V6...AFTER 6 months of use. Cutting Eibachs are probably the dumbest thing anyone can do, the whole point of them is the progressive spring rate on the coils. Cutting them pretty much kill the reason why they exist in the first place. Eibach's are twice as expensive as most other brands because of this and cutting them pretty much kills them. If you were ever to cut anything than the stock springs are perfect for cutting. They are linear springs with a higher rate than most of the aftermarket springs and will do better when cut. That said......DO NOT EVER CUT YOUR SPRINGS....unless you have an in house coi wounding facility with the ability to treat the springs afterwards to specific specs.

If you wanted to lower your car more than 2 inches you will need to get some coilovers. As springs loose their effectiveness below the two inches of drop since too many compromise must be met on the suspension travel.

G

·
Doesn't make a difference; coilovers or not. If the springs have a greater travel, they will bottom out. There is a sacrifice between a tight suspension and ride quality no matter what.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
parisifal said:
Don't ever cut your springs.
So painfully true, and yet so often done. As parisifal said, don't cut or heat up your springs to drop the car further. And I agree, it's not worth the effort of going into why.

Do it right and pay now, or do it wrong and pay for it later. It's your choice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts