Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my MX6 to keep stock but for some crazy reason thoughts of lowering and makeing a few mods are running through my head....I cant not think about doing some things to it no matter how much I try.

So what Im thinking is about lowering my baby...

Anyone got any good tips for doing it??

I lowered my Commodores over the years but thats a totaly different situation..

What and how should i be doing it? Not to mention where with what sort of springs shocks etc??

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nathstx5 said:
Darko, did you go to McKinnon S.C.
No unfortunatly I didnt!!

Where is McKinnon S.C. ???

·
Registered
73 Posts
I recently lowered my 1st gen. and put Koni inserts all round (expensive, don't do it unless you are sure) My car handles much better now and it looks good being 30mm lower to the ground.
King springs are based on the Gold Coast and they manufacture there too I think. Will probably cost about $50 per wheel and take 4 hrs to fit.
2nd gens look very cool when they are lowered and have bigger rims. I saw one this morning, nice.
I keep hitting the bottom of the suspension though, gotta remember to really slow down for speed bumps.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Look when I did this I was in a real hurry so I probably got ripped off... but this is what I did and it drastically improved the look of the car.

Looked around for the nicest rims I could find. Got new rims and new tyres (of course) $2000 and whilst I was at it I got the guys to lower the car as well.

The lowering cost $600 and included king springs and fitting etc, changing all the other stuff that has to be adjusted.

Bob Jane at Box Hill got the gig, I'm sure they outsourced the suspension work and I had the car back by 5pm same day.

One of the issues is that the rolling diameter of the wheels is now 3% greater than it used to be meaning that when my speedo says 110 i'm actually doing 112 (as measured on Hume outside of Melbourne recently)!

Also makes it slightly slower off the mark...

Now where's that KLZE shop...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I lowered my 97 4WS 26mm on variable "King" coil springs.
on 16" Anteras. You could probably go more, but the "experts" think thats the recommended limit.

I didn't change the shocks yet from standard, but probably should.

SideFX said:
I bought my MX6 to keep stock but for some crazy reason thoughts of lowering and makeing a few mods are running through my head....I cant not think about doing some things to it no matter how much I try.

What and how should i be doing it? Not to mention where with what sort of springs shocks etc??

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you get the King Coil Springs Done and how much did it set you back??

4WSboy said:
on 16" Anteras. You could probably go more, but the "experts" think thats the recommended limit.

SideFX said:

·
Registered
233 Posts
It was at Doctor Shocks - Brookvale.

I can't remember exactly how much, but I think probably $500 ish. or perhaps even less.
Give em a ring, the service was good. They also tinted my car well. This was all done at brand new, and I'm fussy!!

4WSboy said:

SideFX said:

·
Registered
621 Posts
IT's a good thing ROH do the azzuros in 17". When I went to buy them they were only doing 16 and 18s. Bummer.

Anyway, why don't you go for the 215/40/17's? The rolling circumference is only out by .8% I think.

If king springs aren't any lower then why's my car lower when I've got higher wheels??? or is it a 1st gen thang.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had Kingspring KFFL25 & KFRL23 fitted to my 1st gen. They are lower than standard springs, but the rear springs could be 5mm lower... maybe fit SL if it's legal..
I have standard 15" 4WS rims I'm thinking about getting 16" x 6.5"

dom

·
Registered
73 Posts
Woo,

check out http://www.kingsprings.com and look up the MX6.

They list an SL spring for the 1st gen MX6.
SL= Super Low. but they dont recommend it for street use, I though it was illegal to lower a street car that much but it's an idea to let the insurance company know any way. :)

When I had mine lowered the front guard to tyre drop went down by 25mm and the rear guard to tyre drop was 20mm.
I looks much better than before, but ideally the rear will be as low as the front to give it that well balanced look.
I thought to achieve this it might be an idea to fit SL in the back, but I'm not sure if this might make the car unsafe.

I would recommend Koni shocks they are very good and I am happy. They are adjustable but it's a bit of work to adjust them, I had them fitted by Goodyear in Taringa.

I'll take some pictures so you see what I mean.

Dom.

·
Registered
73 Posts
.. The Konis where $220 each from a distributor in Melbourne. To adjust the Koni the strut has to be part removed, mine are set as per factory (low to medium I think) some cars the Koni can be adjusted from the top strut tower using an allen key. Sadly for us MX6 ers it's a bit more work, otherwise I'd be trying different combinations out all the time ;)
Lowering the car does affect the steering, it made my steering a bit heavier and I've noticed that the steering wheel does not return as fast as it used to. It is not a bad thing though, infact I like it.

Woo, how many Klms does your MX6 have ? the factory shock are pretty good, you might be able to just put in lowered springs. A good suggestion to improve handling in our 1st gen. is to also fit polyurethene bushes in the link, sway (front and back) and control arms (fromt). I just had this done and it really makes an improvement in ride.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Your right, the 1st gen. MX6 is a very good car !!

The Koni shocks are "shockingly" expensive, I had the money at the time and went for it. Too late for a refund now :`|

I changed my shocks when the car had 150,000 Klms If yours have only 50,000 Klms then you dont need to replace them for a very long time.

I have some positive camber tyre wear on the front passenger side. All other wheels wear evenly and smoothly. Normally positive camber cannot be adjusted. But as I have just replaced the lower control arm bushes I think this is going to fix the problem as the passenger side drive shaft is the shortest and has the most force going through it.

In my experience the 1st gen. MX6 can wear out front tyres very quickly especially doing a lot of short trips.
I've got around 85% wear on my Bridgestones now and it's getting a bit scary if I go over a man hole cover on a corner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts