Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day i was workin on my car and i had it jacked up so i figured i'd see if it was LSD or not, so i started the car and put it in first and both wheels pulled, i am not that familiar with the front wheel drive stuff, i know with a rear wheel drive if it is an open only 1 wheel pulls and with a limited slip diff. both will turn, i have also notice that if you come off the line hard and 1 wheel starts to spin it seems like the power is jumpin from wheel to wheel, it does it the most when it is wet. I would appriciate any help. Thanx

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but the mx6"s in japan did right?that was my boyfreind in the last thread he was just using my name,he is usually 1bad6.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LSD Tranny

I know the u.s mx-6 doesn't have lsd but we haven't owned the car sence it was new and i dont know what was done to it before we got it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
well, both tires turning when the car is in first is normal and would not indicate a lsd.. the car normally drives both tires, it is simply when one tire is slipping all of the power will go to it on a non lsd tranny, whereas on a car with lsd the power will be evenly distributed between the two tires..
i dont believe the mx6's in japan came with lsd, but there was a car that used our tranny which had lsd! not sure which it was..

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
gurlsrace2 said:
i know with a rear wheel drive if it is an open only 1 wheel pulls and with a limited slip diff.
thats an incorrect assessment of an open diff. one wheel has to be loaded significantly more than the other to exhibit this behavior.

open diff would be the same with fwd.

basically, both wheels will turn until you try to to stop one. for instance, raise the front.. start in gear.. both wheels turn.

next, have someone chuck one of the tires... the chucked wheel will stop but the other will continue to spin.

the safer way of checking this is to raise the vehicle, in nuetral.. and spin the wheels manually. if it offers little resistance and they turn in OPPOSITE directions (you spin one clockwise, the other spins counterclockwise) then its open diff.

if it offers some resistance, and both turn in the same direction, its an lsd. (this may not work universally, but is usually the case)

·
Banned
98 Posts
Hey SilverLS, some MX-6's in Japan did come with the LSD. But it was an incredibly small amount. I talked to several JDM engine/tranny importers, and they all said they would bring them in if they could, but they're like unicorns, so noone really bothers looking for them anymore. Honestly, you're better off just buying a Quaife or Guru.

PS. Phantom Grip sucks my big fat balls. Atleast for our cars it does. I've heard good things on some other cars, but on ours, they're worse than stock in many cases.

·
Registered
271 Posts
to figure out if u have an lsd you lift the car (both wheels in the air), leave it in neutral turn one of the wheels, if they both spin in the same direction lsd, if not open..... i have a jdm tranny. oh yeah, when the axles are out of the tranny an lsd diff has no obstructions in the middle, so you can literaly feed a long screwdriver throuhg it, open diff has the shaft that holds the spider gears in place...

ANY SIXES FROM NYC???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts