Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

Thought I should actually get around to joining up and asking for some advice. I have been lurking, gleaning information since I bought my '93 MX6 about a month ago.

I have been having fun and games since I bought the beast, what with leaking sunroof seals, rear windscreen seals etc.

However, I am going to need some help with the latest problem. My car seems to go ok (other car is a Nissan Micra so it is a lot quicker), but under hard acceleration in 2nd/3rd gears there seems to be a tiny hint of hesitation. The engine always seems to be fighting itself to give 100%, bless it. oh and it doesn't like to go over about 105 (on a track of course!!)

I have changed the spark plugs and bought a new set of Mazda leads from the local dealer, this hasn't really helped and has exacerbated the other problem that at crawling speeds or on a trailing throttle around town the throttle action is really snatchy. In a traffic jam for instance it is very hard to drive smoothly without much slipping of the clutch.

I am guessing that putting good plugs and leads in is pulling down the failing component. I haven't yet tried to pull the codes, with my clumsy hands I would probably short the ECU.

From reading other post i am erring on the side of a dodgy TPS, anyone able to confirm?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hi Thunder6

Welcome to the board m8 :), hmm could be a couple things, i would take off the pipe going onto the throttle body the big one thats got a bend in it, and get some carb cleaner give it a spray and work it back and forth to clean and **** in there, could also be a crap lamba sensor. John will be along shortly and have more ideas for you m8

Andy

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Thunder6

Welcome to the boards.

Sounds like blocked injectors ? Put some redex or the like in a tank of fuel and let it circulate through. Its unlikley to be the lamba sensons/O2 cos they just effect your mpgs really ( they did when mine went anyway )

Just pop into halfords theyve loads of injector cleaner products - then report back if your still having problems

Regards

G

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi !! and welcome to the boards..

Well, it could be a number of things.. as Andy and G have said, it could be throttle body, or blocked injectors, perhaps a blockage in any other part of the fuel leads..

Also, the bit about , wontgo over 105.. it could be speed limited if it's a J-Spec car. Have a look at this thread too that describes a top end problem too http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77430

Cheers

Rich

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
Hi Thunder6, and welcome to the board..

Things to do:

Check for any loose pipes.
Check and clean distributor cap and rotor arm.
Check electrical connections to airflow meter and throttle pos sensor.
Check if airflow meter is sticking.. (large cone inside).
Use a good measure of injector cleaner.

Call back when that's all done.. if there is no improvement, it could be a faulty ignitor module, EGR valve or a clogged fuel filter

As for the ignitor, it's about the right year for a failure... and if it goes, your engine dies.. buy new parts from Ford, not Mazda.

John

·
Registered
768 Posts
someone else said as soon as they fitted an air filter, or induction kit, the car pulled alot better over 100+

perhaps replace the standard panel air filter with a K&N one and drill some holes in the air box to get as much air in as possible

check the fuel line as well, possibly car is being starved of fuel when you accelerate hard, it cant throw enough fuel in to match the speed you want to go at, hence the hesistation, and will apply when working the engine hard over 100+

Do you know if the car has been chipped before you bought it?

if perhaps it has, the person may have taken the chip off before they sold it, which means the ECU reverting back to "stock" mode but sometimes when removing chips the ECU does not always revert back to stock mode and some of the remapping code is left on the ECU causing it to malfunction, i.e.engine codes, fuel/air mixtures are wrong, mixed up etc, possible cause for hesitation.

at worst case scenario, possibly a cracked head, causing loss of pressure and air flow......but i am sure its nothing as serious as that though!

make sure the cambelt is not to slack or too tight either, as from previous experience this can also cause hesitant acceleration!

Cheers

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone.

Thanks for yor replies. Cor blimey I've got some checking to do. Will have to wait until the weekend as the beast is in the bodyshop having bits and bobs of rust done and the sunroof resprayed.

I have tried Wynn's injector cleaner, and hasn't made much difference but will try the old carb cleaner in the throttle body trick at the weekend.

The car is definately a UK one, is manual and absolutely standard for now. I was worndering about fiting a CAI to improve cooling to the fuel charge but fearing the apin from my insurance company. Otherwise I may have found a decent garage with the correct sort of test gear locally to have a look.

Wil let you all know how things progress.

G

·
Also just bought my first MX6 and have similar problem - jerky and hesitant at around 2000 rpm in 2nd and when lifting foot off.

Fine when you floor the pedal and drive enthusiastically })

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Hi Bru,
Exactly the same advice as above:
Clean injectors and throttle body,
Renew plug leads if they've done around 50,000 miles,
Renew plugs,
Clean or replace the air filter,
Check and clean distributor,
Check there are no air leaks and all vacuum hoses are in place.

At the end of all that clear the ECU codes by unplugging the battery and pressing the brake for 10 seconds or so to drain any residual charge.

Regards, and hope the simple fixes sort things out.

Ken

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Bru

Yes, exactly the same trouble as you, on part throttle the acceleration is a bit fluffy and full throttle goes like a wailing banshee.

I had a lot of fun at the weekend testing my theories, unfortunately too cold and I couldn't be arsed enough to get oily. I promise to do it this weekend though. ;)

It did seem much worse yesterday in the rain so I am suspecting something in the ignition circuit, the dizzy cap and rotor being prime suspects as they haven't been replaced. Plug gaps will be checked too as I just chucked the new plugs in without gapping them the other week.

Oh, for those long warm summer evenings again, or a heated garage.

Duncan

G

·
Hi all

Also noticed was worse in wet. I think.

Looked under bonnet at weekend :confused: Think I need to invest in a workshop manual. Plug leads look suspect (easy Job) so going to renew - where the best place to buy - Mazda/ford or other. Closed bonnet.:eek:

Will open again next weekend.

Bru

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just went for the standard plug leads from mazda (£70 all in). Many of our co-mx6 bods have gone for rock and roll Magnecor leads which have a good reputation but I went for line of least resistance and convenience of ordering etc rather than performance.
Easy job - took about 20 mins including changing all the plugs too.

Still yet to replace the cap and rotor arm (the rain has stopped play in Kent for the last two weeks).

Did have fun un-siezing my rear caliper in the pi**ing rain on Sunday though. Can anyone beat £80 for a new caliper (just the part), or is this cheap enough?

Duncan

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Hi thunder

That price on the calipur sounds good to me, ive just had my rear one changed and with part and fitting it cost me £130! So £80 is good if brand new for the passenger rear one!

Stu

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup

£80 and a few pennies for the part, then 30 odd deposit. Now I just have to find someone to fit it for me. I have really bad memories of bleeding mini brakes and I don't fancy cocking the 6's brakes up.

Cap and rotor arm will be done this weekend for definate!!;)

Duncan

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi everyone

Right. Gapped plugs and secured all connections, replaced rotor arm but not cap yet (trying not to spend £40 on one). Took off Airbox. Maf cone is sliding ok, cleaned all electrical connections, carb cleaned the whole of the inlet tract and throttle body (was pretty gunked up). Checked all vaccuum hoses.

The problem still persists. Seems to be worse when the car has warmed up.

I think that I will take it to Mazda and get a diagnostic done. Hope I get some vouchers from Santa.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts