Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey is it possible for me to put a turbo motor into my lx? i mean will it fit or would i have to change everything around. if so wut would i have to do?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Although I own a 89 626 instead of a MX-6 the engine compartments are the same. However I have also explored this option, however it gets somewhat complicated. The engine itself is the same except the stock turbo motor had a knock sensor meanwhile the N/A engine did not. The turbo version also had a different EGR system I believe. ON the firewall of the car their are a set of control valves operated by vacuum. As I recall this valves are different don't ask me how (according to a Hayne's car manual). You would also have to purchase a intercooler, tubes, air filter tubes the BOV and ECU (Electronic Control Unit, basically the computer)and ignition coil. It is also a possiblity that the MAS (Mass Air sensor, costs an assload of money) will need to be replaced but I'm not so sure.
Don't quote me on all of this but this is what I know this far. I'm in no way a professional mechanic. This is what I have studied in a Hayne's and chilton's manuals. This is in no way to discourage you though however, the turbo engine is very much intriguing to me as well.
Hope this helps.

it is the same engine just with a turbo.

[Edited by hurddawg on 09-15-2000 at 10:41 PM]

·
Registered
332 Posts
LX to turbo an No-No

Sorry to shoot you down on this one but it is just not worth it to turbocharge a LX or a DX. Too much $$$$$. You probably could sell the average 1st gen LX and add a $1,000 and buy an average 1st gen GT. I have see plenty of posts on this subject and the are all the same. Not worth the money to add a turbo.

Rich
1991 GT
K&N Drop in filter
HKS cat back

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well damn. oh well I guess life goes on. Rbodeman, Thanx for the info on where the airbox tube ends. My only problem is that I don't see too many Mazda or Probe GTs where I live. :(

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Turbo-fying an LX or DX

I agree that it probably would not be worth installing a turbo into a LX or DX. I would also suspect that along with the computer controlled differences, there is probably a different cam also. If you drive an LX vs a GT, you'll notice quite a difference in the way the car runs before the turbo hits (driving around between 2000 and 3000 rpms). My sister has an LX, it is different.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey Hurd... I noticed you took off turbo from your future mods to you LX and added sell car. Thats okay only if you plan on getting a GT. Hehe. Seriously, I bought my 1991 MX6 GT on March 4 1991 and I can't see myself driving any other car. I love it. If you can find yourself a well maintained GT.... get it. You'll love it too. The MX6 is a GREAT car!!!

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
actually there is a few differences in the engine. The pistons on the turbo are dished to allow a lower compression ratio, and the con-rods are forged I think. It can be done, but it's pain in the ass. It's worth it to buy a GT, you get all the extra luxury options and believe me, as a previous mx-6 nonturbo owner. The difference between the two engines is night and day. The turbo (especially when pushing 12psi) is scary quick at times. :)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I may have said this before

The 1st Gen MX-6 is the 1st car (besides dream cars)that I knew that I WANTED. It didn't help much when I found my sister a really nice 1991 LX ($2000), but I knew I wanted turbo.

I have to say, it is a really fun car, and it was worth all the searching I did. I had to drive 150 miles to get it. I made the deal in a truck stop parking lot ($2100). It needs a paint job, and a few other things, but the mofo will run!! I love it.

Speaking of paint, I would like to have some ideas. I plan on spending around $2000 (as I am no painter), and I want to keep the same color (only cause it is cheaper). The color is Blue. I would like to dress it up. Any ideas? Especially ideas with pictures!! LOL.. I've been racking my brains trying to think of a design, or fade job, or something like that that will look good. My trim is faded real bad also. I thought about taking it off, and leaving it off (of course having all the holes filled).

Anyway, ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Dont take off the trim, that would make the car look silly. The body panels are indented where the trim goes, and I dont think you can remove it from the bumpers. I have been using tire-wet gel or maguiers endurance on the trim and it makes it look really good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts