Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a `92 LX, i like to call a GT, but it's not yet... I have been looking into getting a turbo (oem if possible), but I have heard it's a bitch to install, as for the oil lines, computer hook-in, etc., has anyone done this, or know of an easier aftermarket that's easy on the wallet (I found a turbo on a 89 626 in a junkyard, was going to rape it, along with the 88 MX-6 GT's (sitting right next to it) doors, as they have power windows and locks, and he only wants $40 a piece for them. The turbo, he said he'd let go for $230, which is a steal. Another question, In the 88 GT, the seats were unbolted, and I looked at the bottom of the passenger side, and there seemed to be a factory subwoofer bolted to the bottom, any info on what the @#$% that was??

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
whoah cowboy

You can't just bolt a turbo onto a naturally aspirated engine like that. Your engine is very different than the one that came in the GT. The GT engine has different pistons, a forged crank, stronger rods, plus many other things that your LX engine does not. Why don't you just buy the whole engine and computer and everything from that GT you found in the junk yard and rebuild it (if need be)?
If you bolt that turbo onto your plain jane NA LX engine be prepared for it to destroy itself very quickly. (Not to mention the stronger drive shafts on the GT and rear disc brakes...there are tons of things that are different!)

This subject seems to have been run into the ground many times before. Try to use the search feature and also visit probetalk.com and search their site for the same. If you reallt want a GT your best bet is to sell your LX (if it is relatively nice) and go find a GT somewhere. Even if the GT you find isn't so great you should be able to fix it up since you were prepared to do that turbo add-on on your LX).

And yeah there was a factory subwoofer under the GT seat.

·
Registered
332 Posts
That is the best advice for anybody wanting to turbocharge their LX..... Sell it and buy a GT!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
You'll need a LOT of shit to convert. We're talking the engine, tranny, halfshafts, ECU, complete wiring harness, exhaust manifold & downpipe, CPU, cruise control motor, intercooler & piping, and even after all that. You still wont have everything the GT has. You'll be missing the computerized speed sensitive steering, rear discs, AAS, ABS (if optioned), and a few other things that I cant think of at the moment. It really would be much easier to sell the car and get a real GT. A lot less headaches that way.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well no one said all us MX-6 drivers were sane :)

Truthfully, I'd be a lot more serious about looking for a GT (when I get the $$) except for one thing: you can't get a GT with manual door locks & windows. Life with Old Faithful has led me to conclude that such electrics are redundant (especially in coupes) and unnecessary; I find nothing bothersome about extending my right arm and lifting a finger to unlock a door as opposed to pushing a rocker switch. Soooo basically I'm still crazy enough to contemplate what it would take to build a '90 DX into a GT clone (If '62 Nova owners can find a way drop a 350 small-block into their cars, then I can find a way to drop a GT motor into a base model :)) if it allows me to avoid electric gizmos. Call me crazy all you want. I'll agree wholeheartedly :).

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
ummm..

I don't know about you, but in my car there is no rocker switch or any other type or switch. There is only the plastic lock post that sticks out of the top of the door panel. You reach over and lift it, as in a non-electric lock car, and the passenger lock unlocks by power.
I know what you mean when you say its no big deal to reach over and unlock the passenger door, I'm just saying there's no switch (a switch truly would be redundant).

I do agree that it would be nice if more companies (any cmpanies at all in fact) would sell stripped versions of their performance models. I could do without my power sunroof; I never use it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My mistake; sorry 'bout that! My last experience with a car with power locks was the '86 Buick Park Avenue that my mom owned before we got our DX; that car had a rocker switch.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Re: ummm..

antiSUV said:
I do agree that it would be nice if more companies (any cmpanies at all in fact) would sell stripped versions of their performance models. I could do without my power sunroof; I never use it.
A dude on probetalk, TbartJr, has a 1stgen PGT that is stripped down. No power windows,locks,A/C cruise or nothing. And it wasnt like someone did that. The car came that way from the factory. Must be really quick without all those heavy options.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I say go for it. Either attempt a full conversion or slap just the turbo on there. This tpoic has come up so many times, I think its time we find out what would actually happen. Be sure to let us all know the results =)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't think it would be a good idea to throw a turbo on an LX engine. It could never be what a GT is. The GT's have different pistons, connecting rods, valves, even a different head gasket. Besides a lot of crap works with vacuum lines on the LX. The GT is missing most of our vacuum lines. When the car is boosting there wouldn't be vacuum in those lines. I myself own a wonderful MX6 LX. One day I plan on replacing the rear drums to disk. And a little here and there to make it a little faster. But I don't really think of my car as a sports coupe. I think of it more like a touring coupe. It may handle great with the tires, adjustable suspension and polly urethane bushings I have. But it still only goes 0-60 in about 11 seconds. For my next car I plan on buying a GT, and use my LX as an everyday car. And I will still park it at the end of the parking lot. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yep, we've all accepted that. However, if I happen across a wrecked GT with good parts, and I have enough money.. *evil grin*

·
Registered
449 Posts
You'll have a problem with the O2 sensor. The NAs use a single wire O2 in the exhaust manifold and the turbos use a four wire one later in the exhaust system. To put the turbo in successfully, you'd need the complete GT exhaust system. The NA and turbo have completely different exhausts. So just slapping the turbo on the engine is no good.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Kicking the dead horse

Ok, Ok, I think it's safe to say that the GT's are so much better than the LX's and an LX will never be what a GT is. Riiiiiiiiiight! Ok boys, here's the truth, I'm a psycho, I once put a 350 in a `79 chevy monza (My first car), so I'm looking at options that involve nothing short of rear wheel drive here. I'm saving up the cash, and soon I'll have around $6k to play with my car. I'm seriously thinking of tearing the car down to nothing and throwing a whole new engine in there (Maybe the second gen probe GT's V6), I realize that's a lot of work, but you GT owners that are just spitting "Buy a gt, screw your lx" dont understand that there is an emotional bond between a car and it's owner, and selling your car out because it's not good enough is like dumping your girlfriend because she gained 5lbs, it's not right. I plan on making my car a speed demon, if it means re-machining everything but the chassis. I'm sorry, it may take time, it may take money, but my Friggin LX is not gonna be sold out.

BreezyMX

·
Registered
449 Posts
hey i understand. I have the same ideas and i plan to do so radical things with my car too. I just gave up discussing it on this and any other board. You just get shot down. There's no challenge, if you just buy a new car. i agree.

One of my dad's friends put a chevy v8 in a VW beetle (the old ones). I've heard about a lot of Chevy Vegas with v8 too. Why did you give up the 350 monza? too much power?? or too old?

BTW-I checked, most mechanical engine parts on the NA and turbo appear to be identical, hold the pistons and distributor. The pistons are just dished more deeply and both are cast. The cranks are the same, both are forged. The one thing i don't know is the connecting rods. Just the GT is more computerized and electrical. You can check this out at most autoparts stores the part numbers are identical for most of the parts. Sorry to disappoint you guys...hey if you feel i'm wrong about anything check it out. If I'm wrong I humblely apologize.

[Edited by hurddawg on 12-14-2000 at 01:17 AM]

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
hurddawg said:
You'll have a problem with the O2 sensor. The NAs use a single wire O2 in the exhaust manifold and the turbos use a four wire one later in the exhaust system.
No they dont. they use the same 02 sensor as the N/A version. That still dosent help his situation though :)

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
OK, it sounds like you're really dedicated to your 6. That's good. If you say you've got $6k, then that definitely ought to do it. I say get a parts car. Get a wrecked PGT or Mx-6 GT for mad cheap and swap all the parts. That's probably the easiest way to do it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
your all wrong

you can install a stock turbo out of a gt i have a 90 lx and my exhaust manifold has been drilled and tapped and pluimbed all stock all you have to do is put a new intake manifold on it the turbo send your ecu to corksport and for 240 dollars they will reprogram it for you to run turbo and you can runn just with that if you keep it in the 9-10 psi mark i know this for a fact i have seen it done and it last long turm and no damage has been seen to be happening so go for it and that way when you spank all the hondas out there you can tell them you have a na lx its eaisier than selling and buying a new car

·
Registered
449 Posts
8.6 compression and 8~10 psi of boost would definitely work some of the GTs on this board. Like I said most of the engines parts between the two cars are identical. How did they get the turbo watercooled though??

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
There's water pipes running into the turbo :). I'm not sure where they come from. It's either the thermostat housing or the cyl. head. I'm not sure though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts