Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. I just recently found out that Mazda had an MX6 M edition. What is the difference between and M and an LS model? Does the M have more HP? Is it faster? Does it come with something the LS dosen't have? I was just wondering about these questions. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The M edition (96, 97) had one or two colors that the LS did not (I have seen a dark colored one and a white one). It's basically a loaded LS with leather seats that say "M edition". I have also seen them with wood grain trim on the dash and a 3-disc in dash CD changer.

I think they were around $25K or $26K (automatic) when new in 97.

Tyson
95 LS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=462831487

G

·
M edition

They made it in '96 only and it was basically an LS but a gold trim package (emblems, wheels), stainless steel sill scuff plates, logos on the leather (only) seats and front fender. Most, like mine, were burgundy but they also came in white or black. The only option was automatic transmission and dealer add-ons. Everything else was fully loaded. The stereo was a 3 cd in-dash changer by Alpine--one of the first efforts at that kind of stereo and it sucks because they jam. I yanked mine for a more powerful Sony in-dash single CD. Unfortunately, there are no suspension or engine differences from a standard LS. Mine, with a 5 speed and dealer add-on woodgrain dash (which really looks nice but I wouldn't have paid $800 for it) originally stickered for just over $28K.

I wouldn't call it rare since they made over 5000 of them but you certainly don't see that many.

G

·
Yeah, Should've had some REAL differences... but...

I also have a burgundy '96 M Edition that I bought in July of 99. It was a Lease return to a Mazda dealer in Seattle, WA, and this particular dealership had been seeking just ONE of these M Editions for over 6 months. They managed to trade a CA dealership for three of them, which were all lease returns. I've been hoping to find some real nice differences between the M and the LS, but as stated,there really aren't any significant ones. Too bad it didn't come with a Supercharged engine or something. I've only seen two others around my area though, and they were the other two lease returns-- another burgundy one and a white one.

·
Registered
548 Posts
hey wilsonhb. The M's are rare. I own one and I did some reseach to find out just how many where made. The total sales of all models in 1996 was 6550. Which is one of the main reasons the car was discontinued. They didnt even make them very far into 97 because they still had to sell 96's. So figure how many people where willing to pay 28$ for a sports coupe in 96 and you understand why there arnnt 5000 M's runnin around.

G

·
Mazda Reps seem surprised to see an M Edition...

I'd really like to know just how many "Ms" are out there too-- not just how many were supposedly produced, but how many were sold. About all I do know, regarding rarity, is that I've entered mine twice in a local car show-- stock Foreign Class, and have been awarded second both years, with many comments from judges who worked for Mazda. Comments were things like "haven't seen very many M editions at all" and "Wow, an M Edition." After the show, all a Mazda salesperson (who happened to be a judge) could tell me regarding production was that "there aren't many M's out there at all-- more than 2500 units that are required for today's production cars," but he didn't estimate that many more than that were produced.

G

·
# Ms

I'm not sure where I got the 5000 number--I think it was from a post on the old messageboard, though, and I don't remember who posted it. I'd like to know a more definite number too if anyone finds out.

G

·
hehe. Yep, why not....although (maybe) they actually check the VIN??? Anyway, I'm really thinking I should do some nice engine mods, then it will be different from a standard LS. I like the supercharger or turbo ideas listed throughout the board here, but I want to make sure things are done right too. No ricer for me.

G

·
Other differences?

I own both a M-Edition and a standard LS. I measured from the ground to the top of the wheel wells and the M sits about 1" higher than my '93 LS. Same size wheels (stock Mazda 15" wheels), exact same Goodyear tires on both. The suspension is definitely higher on the M. Has anyone else noticed this??

One other difference in general - the tail lights on M's have a red center instead of the standard orange center.

The burgundy color (called both Burgundy Brilliant and Burgundy Mica) was a special color only on the M's. Mazda later introduced it as a standard color on 626's a few years later.

In terms of production figures, I found a site that said there were 5177 '96's made total but didn't say how many were M's. So I tend to agree with tlk that maybe 2500 or so were M's. I'm still trying to get specifics. I even tried calling the AutoAlliance plant in Flat Rock but couldn't get past the stupid switchboard operator. Still looking though!

Let me know about the ride height difference.

Thanks!

Bill

G

·
ride height difference

Interesting--your '93 sits lower than the '96. I have read that later Probe GTs were mounted with different springs that yielded a higher ride height but don't know if this applied to MX-6s as well (which had softer suspensions). It may also be sag of your 1993's 7 year old springs.

I forgot the tail light difference--they look much nicer than the standard tail lights and are an easy mod.

G

·
Thanks for the responses. Sagging springs make sense. I'm not worried about it since I'm probably going to get some Eibachs anyway. But at least now I have a good explanation.

Thanks!
Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts