Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '93 MX6 coupe for awhile now, and I love it!!! It's my first car so I'm really stoked! But as of the last month or so I've been leaking oil like mad. There's a puddle under my car in the garage, and I suspect that it could be a valve cover gasket. I constantly smell oil burning when I get outta my car. In any case, I've had to put about 3 quarts in, in the last 2 weeks! And in about 2 weeks the oil light will begin to come on when I corner fast. Then the engine will begin to chatter. I've offset the problem by putting more oil in. The chatter then goes away, but in a few weeks it'll happen again. Also the engine light goes on ONLY when the motor is being used continually, i.e. like on the freeway, not on the streets where I'm stop and go. Are the problems linked? I just had brand new spark plug wires put in and it runs fine, but I smell OIL LIKE CRAZY! Especially when I travel long distances. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

'93 mx6 coupe. 2.5L V6. 115,000m

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
First of all, may I suggest you, knowing how serious this leak is, CHECK YOUR OIL more often! That chattering you hear is the engine starving for oil. Bearing surfaces, cam lobes, hydraulic lash adjusters etc can all be severely damaged by even a few moments under load without oil pressure. It's hard to say how much damage has already been done...

Find the source of the leak. Oil leaking at this rate may point to a poorly-seated oil filter gasket or a loose oil filter. Where under the engine is the oil puddle forming? (radiator side, firewall side, middle...)

I'd suggest carrying a few quarts of oil with you whereever you go and to not drive the car more than absolutely necessary until this leak is resolved.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if the leak is only happening when the car is on then it is the oil sending unit, about $10, check the fittings like filter, and oil plug, jack the car up and look all over clean under the car and look where it is coming from

·
Registered
488 Posts
Like emexsix said it sounds like the oil sender. open the hood and look straight down between the radiator and the engine and have someone start and rev the car. If you see oil coming out and dripping down teh oil filter it's probably coming from the oil sending unit. Got o the dealer and you can get a new updated one for $10-20. It's a bit of a pain to get the old one out but not all htt hard. The new one will go right in and that will solve the problem.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
No. The sending is screwed into the block above the filter and is separate from the filter. When the sender goes, the diaphram inside (that moves fore and aft with changes in oil pressure) develops a hole, and the oil pushes though into the non-sealed side of the sending unit, where it leaks out on to the ground. It may look like it's coming from the filter because the filter is mounted right below it.

A filter leak can be caused by the filter coming loose, if the filter was changed and the flange not cleaned properly or if the sealing gasket not installed properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the leak is comming from the passenger side. I plan on getting it checked out within this week. And thanx for the advice! I always keep abut 3 quarts handy since this began, and the chattering happened the first time, and I let it go only till the next gas station. So I hope no horrible permanent damage is done! So with that said, if it's on the passenger side(right side)of the car. Is there any particular part to start looking at, I mean with a leak that bad, I should be able to detect something real quick, right? So thanx again, especially Mike. I've come hear alot and only recently registered, and the help you give seems indispensible. And to everyone who replied to this string, thanx =)

[Edited by TrptScrmer on 12-14-2000 at 02:44 AM]

·
Registered
179 Posts
my oil sending unit went bad on mine a few months ago. It leaks really really bad. but it was an easy fix, like mike said its on the block above the oil filter facing the radiator. Its an easy fix. You can prob. do it your self.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts