Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo wat up peoples? Ok I dont know much about the MAF (mass air flow) sensor. So where is it and what does it do and does it ever need replacing? Are there hi-performance ones out there?

Thanks and LaTeR...

:eek:

·
Registered
511 Posts
it is next in line after the connection from the airbox. it basically tells the computer how much air is flowing through or something like that. (MASS AIR sensor) it should only need replacing if it goes bad and its known to be faulty. some people at probetalk claim that cleaning it with TB cleaner will smooth idle and performance. for our cars i doubt there is an upgrade unless its a custom job and really would only gain a couple horsies if any. i'm mostly talking out my ass here but it sounds good doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
our cars don't have a Maf. We run a Vacuum air meter... plug type. Simply put we have a domed plunger that sits inline with out intake when air passes over it it pushs the plunger backward against a spring to make room over its outside diameter. The farther back it goes the bigger the hole it makes and the larger a reading it sends to the computer. This is effective but very restictive. A maf has a small venturi mounted in the intake and takes measurements off the air flowing across it, Open element, nonrestrictive. A conversion would open our cars to faster throttle and help greatly in turbo applications. The problem swapping the two comes in the interpretive software mazda used. The stock ecu software is complicated and hard to adapt. You know what they say if it ain't broke, leave it the fu c alone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts