Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any info regarding some computer chip that can be replaced that a) removes rev limiter. and b) betters the air/fuel mixture, thus adding more horses? Ive been told that this is a good "first" modification to do, since it supposedly gives you the best bang for your buck. Essentially adding more horses. Any feedback is greatly appreciated...
thanx

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I would advise against removal of the fuel cut-off. 7500RPM is already pretty high for an HLA engine. Besides, without significant work to the heads (ports), cams and intake/exhaust manifolding, the engine has long since run out of steam anyway by that RPM. Indeed, on my car, I've actually lowered the fuel cutoff from 7500RPM to 7000RPM.

PROM mods should be the last item on one's modification agenda and only then depending on the level of mods on the car. A custom PROM might get you 5HP on a moderately modified KL03 (Gerry Sica comes to mind) but a generic, off-the-shelf, one-size-fits-all PROM from the likes of Superchips isn't likely to have much of an effect on power output.

If you do get the cams done, re-do the valvetrain (to support those higher RPM levels), port the intake etc, I'd say a chip is a good idea, but only then if it's custom done for your combo. Or, if you switch engines from a KL03 to a KLZE (for instance), some tuning of the KL03 spark and VRIS maps will be needed to get best performance from the new motor.

But for a stock or close-to-stock V6, I'd say spend the $$$ ($300+?) they want towards suspension, brake or breathing upgrades.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts