Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay my 4 banger has 83k miles on it and I know its time for some things. I am assuming that I should do all of this at the same time as they are close in the engine, right? I’m talking about replacing my timing belt, water pump, and all belts as I would be putting in an underdrive pulley as well.

Questions:
1. Where should I source the water pump and belts? Is NAPA fine? And how much does a pump cost?
2. Is the Chilton’s manual good enough or is the Haynes that much better?
3. How many hours of labor for a mechanic to do all this?
4. And anything else I should know about before I try to tackle this?

Thanks a bunch I know you guys always help out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you are going to get an underdrive pulley you will want to wait to get the belts because you will need to get a different size than the stock size.

Either book should be fine to give your car a tune-up. I'm not sure of the total shop time it would take a mechanic, however I usually set aside half a day to do a complete tune-up.

As far as changing the timing belt is concerned, they suck big time on the V6's but I don't think they are that bad on a I4.

I'm not sure about Napa I've heard good and bad. I usually get all my parts from an import store. If you don't have an import store in your area and you're going to be getting everything at once, you might want to check at carparts.com and use the $30 off coupon.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
timing belt isnt too hard. youll be pulling the engine mount and some timing belt covers, including the valve cover.

UR UDP new belt sizes are:

Alternator & WP: Gates K040355
AC & PS pump: Gates K050450 or 050446

"is a haynes that much better?"
is a haynes better at all?

actually, you would only need the manual for torque specs. in case you dont find the UDP main bolt, its 108-116 lb/ft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts