Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i just bought a 1993 mx6 4cyl but it didn't come with a owners manual. There might be a thread post it on this but i couldn't find it. does anyone have a maintenance schechule that i can go by. if you do can you email it to me at [email protected]

also i noticed that there is a puddle of water in the spare tire compartment i cleaned it and sprayed all kinds of water on it but it seems like water is not getting in i didn't see any holes or anything from the bottom. HAs any of you had the same problems? Let me know
keep on cruising!

thnks

G

·
all right i suggest you get out there with a hose....
(hell why not give the car a wax while your there)

make sure you soak the rear end awhile. then open your boot
and there's two placees to check firstly,
looking down on the back lip of the boot you shouldf see two screws, holding the back bumper. now these should have cream colored plastic seals (chunky buggers) even if they are there run your hand along the inside of them to check for moisture,
if you can't find a prob here i'd advise runnin your hand along the inside of the rubbers that seal against the boot lid looking for dried out areas that might have cracked!
hope this helps!

G

·
i have this same problem, i have ripped out all the carpet and everything and i cant find where it is coming from so when someone can help me it would be great

·
Registered
291 Posts
hilarious!!!!!

I just got done drying out my 93...

As a side note... my 91 (first gen) has the same damn problem... I've never been able to figure it out. I just wait for a bright sunny day every 4 months or so and take everything out of the trunk and lay it out on the driveway to dry and fill the spare wheel hole with towels.

Lates,

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the same problem. I have no idea where the water is coming from.

G

·
Excellent! I have a vital tool for this problem.. A small pot!! I too have no clue as to why the boot fills with water. Living in the UK it rains a lot (especially this year). Perhaps I should shut my other half in the boot with a torch next time it rains;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Same Problem. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Not like other cars, ours won't rust out under there. It's hardened plastic. HOWEVER, your spare jack will (like mine did) . Keep it clean however, you don't want any bugs, etc...in there. Don't wait every 4 months. Just pop the hood and check it every 2-3 weeks! Water get in usally when you are spraying inside the wheel well. Some other cars infact have this problem!
Other than that, water gets in when you open your trunk and water FLOWS down the hood and into the trunk however, this would take a while for water buildup! Good luck with it though!

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Had a similar problem in my last 6 but the water went into the wells at the side not the wheel well. It ended up being the section you can see when you open your trunk outside the seal there is a welded seal where the rear arch joins the trunk next to the trunk support struts. the seal was gone and although it is high up water got in when I was driving. (Spent weeks looking while stationary and no leak visible but on a cleaning mission one day I decided to clean that section and squirted a hose up it when the trunk was open and there it was water running down the side. A bit of silicone and jobs done no more water.

·
Registered
291 Posts
well...

I've decided to check every time it rains now. It rained like mad yesterday. Even though I didn't drive the car once yesterday, the trunk was wet today. 2-3 inches. Fortunately, it almost never rains here in Sandy Eggo. However, when it does, from now on, I'll be checking. Super-annoying. I think I'm gonna take her in for a new seal soon...

Lates,

G

·
if you look from underneath the car in the center of the spare tire well there is a drain plug you can push up and the water will drain out, i just found this the other day i pushed it up and left it out, figured it can't hurt, it doesn't get that wet in cali.

G

·
Owners Manual and Water in Trunk

I just bought a 1994 Mazda Mx6 six cylinder with both of the same problems. It did not come with an owners manual and the spare tire well had an inch of water in it. I took everything out of the trunk and drilled a small hole to let the water out. I can not figure out where the water came from.

Does anyone else have problem with trunk leaks?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Possible solution to water in trunk

Whne I had my MX-6 I had the same problem for MONTHS. Finally a noticed while washing my car, a small puddle next to the rear quarter glass, so i pull apart the plastic molding and lo and behold, there was a black plastic tub that had a nice sized hole in it.

To test it, I pour a little water on my sun roof and the water came splashing down.

So it's possible that there is a hole in the drainage for your sunroof.

It cost me a little more than a dollar to fix, with a piece of hose to 2 clamps.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have the cure!

When I bought my car, there was a big rust spot on the inside of the trunk lid. I had them fix it, and when they did, they said they also fixed a leak. It turns out that there was a rust hole beneath the spoiler. To fix it, the spoiler needed to be removed, and the whole filled. It has now stopped leaking, but since it's still winter here in Ottawa, CAN, there is a big frozen puddle that's gonna have to wait until spring to be melted. Anyway, hope this solves everyone's problems with the mysterious water leak!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey THANKS to all of you for helping me out. I Finally cured the problem. I did what you guys advised and took out everything in the trunk shut my self inside with a flashlight and had someone pour water well guess what there was a leak coming from the passenger wheel wall. i put some silicon on it and it seems to be fine. Once again thanks for the help.

take care

·
Registered
74 Posts
1style said:
there's two placees to check firstly,
looking down on the back lip of the boot you shouldf see two screws, holding the back bumper. now these should have cream colored plastic seals (chunky buggers) even if they are there run your hand along the inside of them to check for moisture,
I had a trunk leak when the car was new. This is exactly where the leak was coming from. I found it by removing the entire carpet from the trunk and then while it was raining, getting into the passenger cabin, folding down the rear seats and using a flashlight to look for the leak.

You don't want to let the laek persist any longer. Standing water / moisture will rust things out in no time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts