Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, get this.....I buy my new 1988 MX-6 GT, we get it to my house and checked it out in more detail and let it run for a while!! After letting it run a good 20 mins or so, I walk around to the back of the car and there is a huge puddle of anti-freeze that has moved to the back of the car!! I tell my pops and we check it out and CAN NOT find where the hell this leak is coming from! We checked underneath the car and all we could see was the anti-freeze dripping off the frame, in the front passenger side corner. We have no idea at all where this leak is coming from?? head gasket?? water pump?? cracked hose?? cracked over flow container?? We can not find anything. The guy who sold me the 6 (my f*cking uncle) is coming over this afternoon to check it out!! And my uncle has had this car in his driveway for a couple months and this never happened to him?! I drove it about a mile back to my house, we let it run in the driveway for 20 mins and this happens?! I swear to god I have no luck with cars!!! Does anybody have any ideas?? Anything?! Sorry for it being so long, but what a heartbreaker :(

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
As long as the water pump or radiator doens't have a problem I don't think it will be a very big deal. It may just be a hose. If it's hose, go ahead and replace all the coolant hoses because once one goes, they all go in quick succession.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it normal if when we have the radiator cap off when the car is running and we rev the engine a little, some antifreeze gets pumped right out the top of the radiator. Is that normal??!

·
Registered
52 Posts
No it isn't, if the cap is off and the engine running the coolant should'nt come out,whether idling or reving,it should stay in.What is usually happening when this occurs is that the head gasket is leaking at a cylinder so engine compression is escaping from the cylinder into your cooling system,thus blowing out coolant.
Another indication of this is your oil will have water (coolant)in it making it look something like chocolate milk. Any body is welcome to correct me if I'm "confused",or just plain wrong.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Coolant may come out of the rad. with the cap off. It depends on wether or not the thermostat has opened. If you rev the engine, coolant probably will come out. This is normal. If coolant comes out while just sitting there warmed up and idling, you may have a head gasket problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course it will come out, especially if it has been running a while and has built up pressure. I get a small spurt when the car isn't even running and has been sitting cold for a while. It just always seems to have some pressure. Besides with a water pump going it will have to circulate the coolant somwhere.

Check the heater core hoses and make sure they haven't become brittle or become loose. I would check the inside of the car just to be sure...

If the car has sat for some time then hoses tend to get a little more brittle and loose.

And that is correct about the oil. If the head gasket blew, you usually get milky looking oil and usually will have smoke blowing out the exhaust (smoke not steam, don't mistake the 2). If its sweet smelling it coolant burning thru, if its blueish/dark its oil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The oil seems to be fine and the exhaust is white smoke?/steam? but regardless it's all white. Anything else to check if it's a head gasket??

·
Registered
287 Posts
From my past experience of breaking engines...it's definitely a head gasket. Coolant doesn't travel to the back of the car on its own, and the white smoke is definitely a sign of the head gasket leaking coolant.

Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.