Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for 4 months for a cheap fixerupper 6 and I go to school and cut back on my mx6.com addiction and then Graham(the guy who personally hunted down 4 mx6's for me to buy) actually ends up buying one for $600, grrrrrrr. Well that about does it for me and the mx6, I figured I would get a project car for the winter and I missed out. I would have taken that in a second, I just sold a sets of jspecs and was about to sell my espec tails just so I could buy one, damnit

Cheers Graham, hope you enjoy it.

Chris

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
don't give up man.
and don't screw up your relationship with mx6.com :cool: i remember you when i first got started on this site in 2003. Keep on posting and helping out the noobies.
you never know, down the road you might find a mx-6 for dirt cheap in good shape for a fixerupper. check the car books you have over there, like way over here on PEI we have the buy sell and trade.
you better stay on here because i'm givin you a lil bit of karma

·
Registered
592 Posts
I was actually thinking of contacting you because I remember seeing in your sig that you were looking for your "next one." I didn't see you post that much on the boards, and you missed the meets or else you could have checked out the car.

I'm sure you'll find another one if you keep looking. Mine had a lot of kilometres on it, but I kept it in pretty good shape. I'm actually glad that Graham bought it because then I can keep updated on how the car is doing since he's on the board pretty often.

Keep on looking, there's plenty of gems still out there!

Hey I just noticed that "Monica" is just like my old car! Well, with better paint. :freak: Darnitall I should have waxed and washed it more often. I had a sunroof wind deflector and front mask though.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
yep, my monica is a beauty :E just wait til spring/summer, she'll be looking like a dream, body kit, paint, rims, lowered, jspecs, interior change, finished sterio, klze (this week with stage 2 clutch, fidenza, engine mount inserts), short throw, CAI, etc etc :E all gonna be done next year bitches.
monicas getting a boob job in other words

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
and some spacers, but i won't get into that :lol: i'll be doing quite a few other lil mods here and there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Sigh... I gotta stop looking at Monica or else Graham's gonna find me peeking into his garage at night... :urg: Man, your paint is so nice in that photo. Did I mention that already? :freak:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Build a 1st gen sleeper

·
Registered
352 Posts
1st gens represent :) See if you can find a 1st gen mx6 or 626 for cheap. Then get a zombie chip and boost controller at the least (chip=$100 CAD, homemade boost controller = $25 CAD) and you'll be flying.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
HHBL said:
Sigh... I gotta stop looking at Monica or else Graham's gonna find me peeking into his garage at night... :urg: Man, your paint is so nice in that photo. Did I mention that already? :freak:
That picture was taken on June 16th 2003 It was the first time i drove it in the driveway after purchasing it :)
thanks, but i'm getting a small amount of rust by the top of the drivers door near the windshield (common place)
thanks for the comments :)

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Chris... The car is going to be up for grabs in the spring.. for basically what I put into it. It has a trunk lid on its way as I write this.. and then new CV joints.. Then new paint..

at that point its yours if you want it. I'm not going to reap any profit off of it.. just fix it up nicely and sell it to whoever wants it. I have to fix the rust on it. Its going to get bad on the roof if I dont take care of it soon.

yeah man.. I hunted down SO many cars for you.. I think about 8 really.. some of them were 4 bangers.. others were autos, so I can see why you passed on most.. but that 1997, fully loaded MTX RS timberline grey for $3k was a steal.. That red one at the auction sold for a few hundred bucks.. I havn't heard from you in EONS so I stopped PM'ing you with MX6's that I found.. but there are TONS out there man.. if you still want one (the one I just bought or others) then just ask.. I come across them all the time..

like I have a business card lying on the floor under my desk of a guy that I met in Canmore.. he has a car identical to mine (the green one I mean) fully loaded for $2k (or so). Here I'll get the card..

(his name is Shawn.. PM me for his number) its an auto though.. but still nice. (do you REALLY need a MTX? who cares if its just a daily driver)

Theres tons man.. I'll keep in contact you with what there is out there.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Oh yeah.. By the way.. can I still get a ZE through you Chris? I need one badly.. the engine in my blue car is worn to snot.. and has low compression..

I'll pay you a nice finders fee if you can set me up with a good one.

PS.. Dont give up on this forum Chris.. I always look forward to clicking on the "western canada" section hoping that you posted..

I'll keep my eyes peeled.. since I havn't heard from you I havn't seen too many recently.. (havn't been looking) but if your still interested then I should (hopefully) be able to find you a nice fixer-upper around Christmas time.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey man, I am a student, not working and my wife is paying all the bills and you have seen my house, it ain't no cheap rent :)

I can't really afford much, that $600 was about all I wanted to spend for now as I am am looking to spend my Alberta cheque and my espec tail money to get a whole car. I need mtx as that is the only real way to drive a 6, well at least I cant go back to auto or a I4.

I will take any 6 that runs, 5speed, LS for around that price. Remember I can always get a ze and make a sleeper.......I can get you a ze but it is going to be the same price(maybe a bit cheaper) as most places now as there are at least 6 places in town now that can get them where before I was the only one for under $1k cnd. If you ever want to sell that green one let me know man as I have the cash and the urge to get back in the game.

As for the site well it eats up all my time if I get back into it, I will once school is done in July but my marks are A+'s now so I gotta keep it up so I can get a better job, then I can get my G35 and my sleeper 6.

I have been on here long enough that I wont ever go away but it helps to have a 6. I can wait. But that green car is exactly the car and price I want, I would have bought it that day if I had been on here, unfortunately my laptop died that week as normally i check on here several times per week just dont post.

I can get you a kl03 cheap if you want, I think that the blue car is too nice to have a ze in it, with all the hassle and cost I just dont think it is worth it, but it is your baby and I guess if you are doing a heart transplant than why not go big.....also i have helped do 2 ze conversions on probes so if you decided to do it over the winter yourself or with a mechanic I can always donate my time......

I was just sad that I missed it, I wanted to go to the meet buy my sister chose sat night to fly into town, sorry guys.

Chris

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
HI Chris.. I'll sell it to you in the spring.. it needs lots of work.. like CV joints ASAP! The roof is rusting.. but it'll be yours in the spring if you want. It could use a new paint job.. dont know what color.. something cool and unique.... any suggestions anybody?

This forum will suck you of your time.. for sure.. I probably spend an hour on it a day (roughly) helping people in the car audio section and so on. I can totally relate. Glad you have great marks. We should have one more meet for everybody.. just one more.. the snow is going to hit next week.. as my blue car is going into storage up in Airdrie. but even mid week would work (I'm getting my blue car back from the body shop on Wednesday)

I hope everybody can have a chance to meet you. That would be really cool.

My blue mx6 is really really low on compression.. I need a MTX ECU too.. the (remaining) Auto ECU makes the car run awful since its looking for responses of sensors that aren't even there any more (the Transmissions are so different in terms of everything).. needless to say the car idles at 1200 fairly consistently.. and its hard to start when its really cold. Rather then re-build the whole engine.. (which will cost $3k anyway I'm guessing) its cheaper to just get a ZE.. AND A LOT MORE FUN!!!!

The tranny needs re-building too.. then thats it for the mechanical.. at that point the car will be perfect.. After that its just a few more apperance mods then its done. (HID.. Vertical doors.. FULL CF interior).

I'll start working on the Green car.. I'll buy the CV joints soon.

Should be good to go for you in the spring.

Does anybody want to meet this week at all.. later in the week or something? just one last time before it really gets cold out?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Graham_A_M said:
HI Chris.. I'll sell it to you in the spring.. it needs lots of work.. like CV joints ASAP! The roof is rusting.. but it'll be yours in the spring if you want. It could use a new paint job.. dont know what color.. something cool and unique.... any suggestions anybody?
What do you think of this colour? You mentioned that you liked silver, but this one's slightly gold as well. It's not gold gold as in beige, but it's more like a champagne silver/gold. Looks darn good on that Porsche.

http://www.squerly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=384&stc=1

http://www.squerly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=386&stc=1

By the way, I found the K&N Filtercharger kit for you, and you'll be happy to hear that there's still 1/2 to 3/4 of both the spray cleaner and the oil. In addition, I also found the Mazda oil filter remover plus some cup holder which I never figured out where it was supposed to attach to.

Maybe I can give you them at the next meet sometime. It'll only cost you $1000. :muhaha:

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
the good Ole' days

^ You drive a hard bargain!

I can see that oil filter remover in the pic.. I'm loving that already.. That is SO handy on these cars.. the I4's have the most impossible-to-get-to oil filter I've ever seen on any vehicle. You have to stuff your arm into this "orgami-like" contortion then use a VERY small area to turn this wee little oil filter out of this crevas.. all the while trying your best to utilize your now not-so-capable (gimped) arm to turn this scaulding hot filter off...

all the while trying to avoid burning your arm on the exhaust pipe which is conviently blocking the area you need to have available to remove the oil filter in the first place...

and you know what the REAL fun part is? trying to do ALL that before your arm cramps up.. thats always a joy. I remember the good ole' days of doing arm and shoulder stretches before I attempted another oil change.. those were fun.

I can't help but wonder of those Pleasure-deprived engineers at Mazda have a Sadstic side to them..

I can just see them laughing to themselves in they're design studio about how FINALLY pulled off how to give a young person arthritus and pulled muscles within 5 minutes.

If you dont believe me.. ask Shawn.. he now has my former "arm-wrecker" RS

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
oh yeah.. sorry about the paint.. that silver was identical to my old Ninja street bike.. Silver is nice.. but SO played out.. something with more Flava would be good.

Hughes' new car is off the hook nice.. something sophisticated yet classy.. and amazing all in one like that Brandywine paint.. something along those lines would be cool.

·
Registered
592 Posts
LOL I used to change the oil in the car I sold you when it was brand new. After a few oil changes, I got lazy and just bought the $20 oil change card from the dealer. It was just more convenient, and I didn't have to deal with a bunch of used motor oil.

That's why I had all those extra Mazda oil filters lying around that I gave you. I stockpiled up. I think they were like $14 a pop too! I had all but forgotten them until I went looking for the original lugnuts that were replaced with the locking ones. Oh well, my loss is your gain. Don't you just love a good deal? :jump:

Hughes' car has an incredible paint job. I'm not so keen on the hood, but wow that paint is nice. I like it when a car has a deep clearcoat - it just makes it look that much more glossy. Silver is a popular colour now. I see Hunter Green is pretty well dead. :zzz: Oh well, I still like the dark green. It's nice on a sports car, and just different enough to make it stand out. I wish I had waxed it more. Sigh... that's one thing I'll always regret.

The Porsche has a nice champagne golden tint to it which makes it look rich. That plus the fact it's a Porsche of course. :) If you're just going to have it as a winter car and sell it in the springtime, I wonder if it's worthwhile painting it. It's not going to rust much more than it is now I would think, plus you wouldn't be able to recover your costs to have it painted unless you go real cheap (ie. Maaco). You could just try spraying some Rust Stop oil spray into the rust areas to slow things down over the winter.

The spray over jobs are crap. I looked at one MX-6 for sale, and at first glance, the paint looked not too bad, but closer examination revealed that the new paint was peeling off the old paint on the doors. It was never sanded down or primed or anything! They just sprayed the new paint over the old paint! Yeah, that might last a year or so... and then the peeling begins.

It's up to you of course. Don't mind me. :cool: I guess you have to ask yourself realistically how much you want to invest in the car if you're only going to own it for a short time over the winter. I would spend the money making sure it's in good mechanical shape first (eg. CV, oil smell) and then consider the esthetic part after.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts