Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of making a digital speedo, and was wondering if anyone knew what the signal the speedo recieves is? is it a voltage reading, a frequency reading, or something i haven't thought of? BTW, I'm talking about the V6 manual trans.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Dave

I'm pretty sure the speedo runs off a cable that is attached to the gearbox. ie a physical signal rather than an electrical one.

You got the same dash as an MX6? 'coz I been thinking about some gauges....

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as far as i can tell the dash is the same, haven't got a real close look in a MX yet, but they look the same. If it's a physical signal, i.e. rotation inside the cable, how does that move the needle? i've never really figured out how speedo's work. i've already built a digital tacho, which i'm going to try to mount just under the current one. it's simple, just a frequency counter that takes a reading from the ditsy, every time the plugs fire = 1 rpm. the speedo's got me stumped though, and i can't seem to find a DIY kit for it. i got the tacho from **** smiths for like $20, which you assemble yourself. it comes with huge LCD's, but i'm gonna mount small ones once i get it working right.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, if it's electrical that'll make things a lot more simple. now i just need to find out if its a voltage reading (1v=10kph,2v=50kph,etc) or a frequency (one pulse-per-minute=1kph, 10ppm=10kph,etc)
if it's a frequency, then i could just get another tacho diy kit and calibrate it to give the right output for the right frequency. otherwise, if it's a voltage reading, i was thinking of gettin a kit for a digital voltmeter, and adjust the output acordingly. any thoughts? even better, has anyone who's remeoved their dash before checked it out and know which one it is? I'm trying to get out of having to pull mine apart to find out, put it back together so i can drive it while i make the speedo, then pull it apart again to install. damn i'm lazy!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts