Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a mass airflow sensor for my 93 mx6 2.5l v-6 auto. Has anybody got a used one for sale?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vaf

Thanks, but the dealer has found a used one for me. $350.00 covers diagnostics, part and installation. Not bad I guess??? P.S. What is VAF short for???

·
RXLS1
1,668 Posts
holy crap, your getting ripped. VAF stands for volumetric airlflow sensor. PM hughes46, or wait for agiatrix to give you a price. I got one from hughes for like 35 bucks, and it takes 15, maybe 20 minutes to replace.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
Yes, get one from hughes. Heel probablly only cahrge you like 40 bucks but dont quote me on that.

You shouldnt even need diagnostics...

The VAF is on the I4 and the MAF is on the V6 if i remember correctlly.

·
RXLS1
1,668 Posts
Stealth said:
Yes, get one from hughes. Heel probablly only cahrge you like 40 bucks but dont quote me on that.

You shouldnt even need diagnostics...

The VAF is on the I4 and the MAF is on the V6 if i remember correctlly.
switch that.

Reactions: Stealth

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and so it continues

dealer installed a used mass airflow sensor and that didn't solve the problem. they put all my old parts back on and it is running better than it has since they took it in and started working on it, but still has the intermittent stalling, fluctuating revs (shoots from 800 rpm to 2000 rpm while idling), and occasionally hard to start problems. dealer has asked permission to drive it for a day or two to get a better idea of what is happening and when it happens (i guess my car is now their gopher/coffee runner).

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
i have the same rev jumping on one of my cars. Let me know what it is when its they find the problem.

·
RXLS1
1,668 Posts
idk if you let them do it (which it sounds like they did), but if you didn't you might check for vaccuum leaks past the airflow sensor. I usually do this by getting a can of ether, and spraying it at the intake piping beyond the VAF. If the engine revs, then you have a leak.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sure stealth i will gladly let you know as soon as i do. thanks baughb'smx6 for the tip. where is the airflow sensor on my 2.5l v-6?

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
its the black plastic peice between the 2 red couplers on my intake just north-northwest of the fusebox.

If you have a stock intake it is between the filter box and the throttle body.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I just fixed this on another members 2g LS. His coupler on the Throttle Body were wearing thin and there was a considerable rip in it, as well as the other coupler that is connected to the MAF. Also, check the PCV hose connection and EGR vacuum hose connections on the back of the TB Elbow.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tips

thanks for the tips guys, i really appreciate it. by the way, nicely done engine stealth - makes mine look pretty plain. the dealer gave me back the car because they couldn't find the problem. car has been good except today. i floored it and it went fine until i let off the gas and got back on the gas and the engine bogged. i am sure one of these tips will fix it, but i have 3 jobs and very little time to check problems on my car. will get back to you once i have had a chance to try some of your suggestions. just one thought, why can a car dealership charge you when they cannont fix a problem with one of their own vehicles. shouldn't they only be able to charge you if they solved your problem?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts