Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Check this out: :damnmad: :damnmad: :damnmad:

August 2004
Trans feeling slopy and a bit suspect, feel the need for a Torsen diff, and HD Clutch, and so decide to get the diff and have a gearbox reco at the same time.

Sep 2004
Car back from repairer, gearbox feels tight and slick as. No problems.

Oct 2004 (two weeks later)
Gearbox not feelin so tight and slick anymore. Notice a sound when in neutral with clutch out.

Jan 2005
Realise that the sound must be blown bearings and so take it back to the repairer.

Jan 2005 (1 week later)
Repairer notices that there are heaps of metal shavings on the box magnet. Takes box appart and puts back in car but test drives to find the sound still there... so back into the shop for repairs round #2...

Jan 2005 (3 weeks later)
Repairer has found out what the problem was (hello? - blown bearings...). Blames the metal shavings on the Torsen diff and says this would have caused the blown bearnings. I almost feel guilty for all the work the shop has had to do. I pay for the replacement bearings $200 odd. Drive car home. Gearbox not quite as slick as with the first repair, but happy that it is finally fixed...

Torsen diff, Clutch and G box repairs to date - $3700

Feb 2005 - **the blown bearing sound is back**
I call Guru Motorsports who make the diff asking how this could be happening and am told that the 'preloads' are tricky to set-up on our boxes, if not set-up correctly the main bearings will blow.... well fark me I think. Now I wish I had taken the box to Guru in the first place. Decide that its all getting too expensive and will have to risk driving round on suspect bearings...

Nov 2005
The std bearing noise has turned into an intermittent squel sound... does not sound good... is not good.

Today
Firstly I would like to say one thing - Repco - absolute f*ckers. I call their sub-garage that do ATM/MTX repairs (this is not the garage that did the previous work):

Me- 'Gday I need a rebuild for '89 626 Turbo'
[dizzle]head- Ah, well ya lucky we have a 2nd hand unit here...they are hard to come by..'
Me- 'How much am I looking at'
[dizzle]head- '$3500'
Me- 'What??... what does that include?'
[dizzle]head- 'Well they are quite complex with their diff set-ups..'
Me- 'I have a LSD in mine..'
[dizzle]head- 'Are u ATX or manual'
Me- 'Manual'
[dizzle]head- 'Ah right, well that is for ATX, Manual would be $1500'
Me- 'So what does this include, is that syncos aswell'
[dizzle]head- 'Ahhhh, well you know, new bearings, pulling the bearings stuff like that.. '
Me- 'Right..'
[dizzle]head- 'So your car has a turbo on it right?'
Me- 'Yeah'
[dizzle]head- 'You would probably want a warranty on that... not interested'
Me- 'What do mean?'
[dizzle]head- 'Well why does it need fixing in the first place?...'
Me- 'Because of the pre-loads... the previous guy didnt know what he was doing..'
[dizzle]head- 'Look why don't you try XYZ Garage (the garage that did the work for me in the first place!!) they know what they are doing down there..'
Me- 'Well they didnt know what they were doing - they are the ones that did the work in the first place!'
[dizzle]head- Seeya later

I have never spoken to such a rude fizzle wit that has assumed so much about me ie: abusing my car. What a f*ck head.

So now

As you can imagine I am not V happy

Total Gearbox costs when done likely to cost in the order of $5500.

Plus:

I'm farked

Xmas break coming up and I really need my car (the only one I got). Most garages are booked out.

I was thinking of driving over to Melboune on a holiday and have Guru sort it out whilst I'm there, but now I dont wanna risk driving it that far.. :sigh:

I dont trust local repairs to do the work. But if I have Guru do it then there are additional costs and risks.

Now also thinking of a second cheapie car??

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
on a lighter note, "i love your sig"

Then God spoke to me and said:

'Go forth and maketh the most of the MX6. Harness the power of the stock IHI turbo for this is best path. Reduce intake and exhaust restrictions. Install RAI. Dump and install camber kits to increase handling abilities. LSD for increased traction. Boost if necessary, thou beware not to fall to temptation.'

krama for you!!! :D

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i just did my g/box and it was pretty easy (dunno if u mean the LSD one needs a certain adjustment) except that they had given us the wrong bearings.... well... they gave us the right bearings sort of... the cup was right but the cone was too high causing the g/box to lock up once bolted together... so we thought we had to re-shim it... but then it was only one shaft that was locking... the one with the identical bearings on the same shaft... i think it was the 3rd n 4th n wateva shaft... not the 1st n 2nd... anyhow... pinned it down to being the wrong bearing cones... slightly taller than the older ones... making that slight difference... used the old cones... which were still in good nick... with the new bearings... put a few bolts on the housing to check the shafts... and they were perfect again... fixed the push rod and selector forks while i was at it... gearbox feels pretty schmick again :)

u sure they're the same bearings? i only went genuine for the big bearing... the NACHI one... $100 from Ford :| not happy but when u don't go genuine u get the headaches that i got with them cones!! the other 3 bearings i managed to pick up for less than $100... probably around 80 to 90 all up?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
timtx5 said:
Thats pretty rough, do you think the LSD is right and not the problem?
Hey Tim! R u lucky to have had no problems or am I just unlucky?? I dunno, and i'm no gearbox expert, but I suspect the problem is with the setup of the pre-loads.

I think GOTF2 and DQUICK are right with the problems of aftermarket parts. Maybe wrong bearings and shims were used? When they originally put the box in they hads delays in getting shims shorted.

I can't beleive the aftermarket parts have been taken away. Just about every F2T turbo for sale says rebuilt motor & gearbox. Surely there is demand for parts?

I'm not sure where GURU get their stuff but they obviously use the right stuff. I might ask Guru if they could send down parts for a local rebuild- bearings, shims etc?? I think this might be the best option?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love my car but with these sorts of probs I am tempted to go buy a Barina..

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I think I have just been lucky, probably put about 15-20k km on mine since its been installed. I didnt get the box rebuilt or anything, which may well of helped.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I remember I thought that your install didnt go 100% smoothly? Did the guys have any issues?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
yeah weve all had the gbox BS. i know how ya feel

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Snuff said:
Hey Tim! R u lucky to have had no problems or am I just unlucky?? I dunno, and i'm no gearbox expert, but I suspect the problem is with the setup of the pre-loads.

I think GOTF2 and DQUICK are right with the problems of aftermarket parts. Maybe wrong bearings and shims were used? When they originally put the box in they hads delays in getting shims shorted.

I can't beleive the aftermarket parts have been taken away. Just about every F2T turbo for sale says rebuilt motor & gearbox. Surely there is demand for parts?

I'm not sure where GURU get their stuff but they obviously use the right stuff. I might ask Guru if they could send down parts for a local rebuild- bearings, shims etc?? I think this might be the best option?
They use genuine mazda where possible

Mines still as strong as - and my local mazda dealer still blows a load whenever he drives it - reckons the box is better than the day it rolled off the production line.

bite the bullet and have it done by Rohan - and atleast its been done right
either pull it and send it too him or take it gentle, make ur booking and drive it over - get some good roadside assist though

Rohan (Guru) knows his shizzle and i u want it done right....... well you know the drill after what you have been through.

·
Registered
778 Posts
im in the same sort of boat now, my cars out at a repairers, theyve had it for 9 days and havent even given me a quote, if its not done by friday im taking it elsewhere and not paying them for any work they did as i told them this is my only mode of transport and im not paing $80 a day to catch a cab to work and back.

(looks like a differential problem) but i may never know (may never get the car back). im quite prepared right now to go buy a $400 cheapa55 car to drive around, then when my cars finally on the road again ram the store with the $400 car

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
this is what ive heard.

Mazada has SST (special service tools) exspecially for the gearbox, they fit the box with spacers betwwen teh housings so they can measure the load of the bearings/run outs etc. Not many stores aus wide still have these tools to date as teh car is 16+years old.

So i dont know if the GURU has the tools require or if he has a differnt way of doing the adjustments/measurements neccassary to get hte box in tip top condition.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:tup: Thanks that is good info

There is one local transmission repair shop down here and the guy is ex Mitsubishi/Mazda dealership. I am tossing up between him and Guru ATM.

DQUIk1 - I think the problem in repairing these boxes comes down to: #1-knowledge, #2(genuine) parts availability, and #3 SST like GoTF2 says.

With respect of the problems I've had I think that my previous repairer had neither #1 or #3.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, latest news is that I have decided to have Rohan at Extreme Rotaries do the rebuild.

Should have my car back a bit after Xmas or before... and hopefully the saga will come to an end.... :sigh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.