Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was pulling into autozone to get some stuff for my valve cover gasket repair job. As I pull into the parking lot my oil light goes on....hmmm. I check the dipstick and there's, get this, NO OIL ON IT! Hmmmmm! So i check underneath and there's a large puddle of oil...I reach around and there's oil all over the filter so I just assume that it's the filter. So I fill the car with 3 quarts of oil (i'm at autozone luckily) and drive home. I put it in my garage with a pan underneath and begin work on the other project. Well I notice yesterday night that there's not just oil from the filter. It's all over the place. It seems like it might be coming from the oil pressure switch, which is under where the stock intake would be. I won't know for sure till I check it out later, but until then, has anybody else had a problem with this switch, maybe becoming unseated, or cracking perhaps?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
_bullet_ride_ said:
The other day I was pulling into autozone to get some stuff for my valve cover gasket repair job. As I pull into the parking lot my oil light goes on....hmmm. I check the dipstick and there's, get this, NO OIL ON IT! Hmmmmm! So i check underneath and there's a large puddle of oil...I reach around and there's oil all over the filter so I just assume that it's the filter. So I fill the car with 3 quarts of oil (i'm at autozone luckily) and drive home. I put it in my garage with a pan underneath and begin work on the other project. Well I notice yesterday night that there's not just oil from the filter. It's all over the place. It seems like it might be coming from the oil pressure switch, which is under where the stock intake would be. I won't know for sure till I check it out later, but until then, has anybody else had a problem with this switch, maybe becoming unseated, or cracking perhaps?
It's likely that the diaphram inside the oil pressure switch has broken, allowing the oil to push past it and out the other side. It's not an uncommon thing to have happen though it does suck.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yeah, Mike's right sounds exactly like the oil pressure switch. Go pick another one up from the dealer, about $25, and put it in. It's a bit of a pain to get the old one out as it doesn't have a standard fitting on it, but the new one will go on with a large socket, I just don't know the size off hand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts